Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
Ice cream snacks valued at an undisclosed amount were taken between 9:30 p.m. Tuesday and 2 a.m. Wednesday from a truck parked in the 600 block of Kasold, Lawrence police reported today. Officers said a security bar and a freezer door on the truck were damaged in the theft. Damage was estimated at $250. Police have not identified a suspect.
Mickelle Flory, 44, Baldwin, and Michael Walla, 25, 155 Indian Ave., were treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital and later released after an accident late Thursday about four miles south of Lawrence on U.S. Highway 59. Douglas County sheriff's officers, who were notified at 11:43 p.m. about the accident, reported that Flory was southbound when the station wagon she was driving collided with a northbound car driven by Walla. Sheriff's officers reported that Walla had veered left of the center lane. Walla was cited for driving while intoxicated, driving left of the center lane and having no proof of insurance.
Nordine E. Adjed, 25, Lawrence, was listed in fair condition today at Stormont-Vail Regional Medical Center, Topeka, with injuries he suffered in an automobile accident last Friday about 1 miles north of Lawrence on U.S. Highway 24-59.
Investigated reports of a smoke smell at 2:05 p.m. Thursday at a residence at 4121 W. 13th. Firefighters said an overheated light fixture was the source of the smell.
Investigated a malfunctioning alarm at 7:53 p.m. Thursday at Quaker Oats Inc., 727 N. Iowa.
Were called at 9:32 p.m. Thursday to investigate a reported lightning strike near 19th and Iowa. Firefighters found no damage.
Were called at 9:35 p.m. Thursday to Malott Hall at Kansas University, where occupants in the weather station on the sixth floor were reporting a smoke smell. Firefighters determined that a nearby lightning strike had caused electrical equipment to overheat. There was no fire, and no damage was listed on a fire department report.
Responded at 9:35 p.m. Thursday to a reported lightning strike at Wescoe Hall at Kansas University. Firefighters searched the building but found no damage.
Investigated a smoke scare at 10:24 p.m. at Lawrence High School, 1901 La. Firefighters reported smelling smoke in the office. According to a fire department report, firefighters determined that an intercom system that had been left on was the source of the smell.
Criminal case proceedings
Kevin R. Walsh, 23, Rt. 1, Milford, on Thursday was sentenced to five months in jail on an amended misdemeanor count of sexual battery and two months in jail on an amended misdemeanor count of criminal trespassing. Walsh originally was charged Aug. 31 with felony counts of aggravated burglary and aggravated criminal sodomy after he allegedly broke into the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, 1911 Stewart, on Aug. 30 and attacked an 18-year-old fraternity member who was asleep. He pleaded no contest March 26 and was found guilty of the amended charges. A judge ruled that the sentences would run consecutively.