Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, February 10, 1993

GAS ODOR CAUSES KU TO EVACUATEBUILDINGS

February 10, 1993

Advertisement

Authorities evacuated four buildings this morning on Kansas University's main campus after responding to a report of a natural gas leak.

Lawrence firefighters were called at 10:45 a.m. today to KU's Lindley Hall to investigate what was reported as a strong natural gas odor.

By the time authorities arrived, Lindley Hall already was being evacuated, Mullens said. Department officials there made the decision.

After police and firefighters arrived, they evacuated the Art and Design Building, Marvin Hall, Wescoe Hall and Malott Hall. All evacuations were completed by 11:30 a.m.

Earlier, authorities sealed Jayhawk Boulevard at the Chi Omega Fountain.

Lt. John Mullens, KU police, said a Lawrence firefighter who had gone into Malott Hall was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after he left the building. Mullens said the firefighter was complaining of dizziness and nausea.

A 21-year-old male KU student in Malott also complained of dizziness and nausea after leaving the building and was examined by paramedics. He declined further treatment.

Authorities said they were focusing on natural gas as the problem.

Students who were in Lindley Hall shortly before it was evacuated said they had smelled a strong natural gas odor in the building.

Mike Camp and Katie Graber, both seniors majoring in English, said they had just enter a Geology 101 class at 307 Lindley and were preparing to take a quiz when alarms went off.

They said their instructor told them to leave their books and notes in the classroom and immediately leave the building.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.