Burglaries and thefts reported
- China dinnerware, antique jewelry, a camera, a doll and miscellaneous household items were taken between July 1 and Tuesday from a residence in the 2000 block of New Hampshire, Lawrence police reported today. The owner reported to police that the items turned up missing at various times over the past several months. The items were valued together on a police report at $5,324.
- Chad Ellis and Andrew Fairchild, Lawrence teen-agers who were injured Monday morning in a traffic accident near Seymour, Tex., remained hospitalized today at Shannon Medical Center, San Angelo, Tex. Bob Fairchild, Andrew's father and Chad's stepfather, said today that Andrew had been moved out of the intensive care unit and was progressing well. Fairchild said Chad remained in intensive care but also was continuing to make progress. Carrie Ellis, a 17-year-old Lawrence High School student, died in the accident.
- Edwin Bouton, 60, 2229 Marvonne, was listed in satisfactory condition today at Stormont-Vail Regional Medical Center, Topeka, with injuries he suffered in a one-vehicle accident about 6 p.m. Wednesday along Douglas County Road 900E.
Criminal case proceedings
- Kathleen A. Garrett, 41, 702 N. Third, on Thursday was granted probation on felony counts of selling marijuana and using a telephone to arrange a narcotics sale but was sentenced to 60 days in the Douglas County Jail on a felony count of not placing a Kansas drug tax stamp on marijuana. Garrett pleaded no contest Sept. 27 and was found guilty of the charges. Garrett was arrested and charged after a Douglas County Drug Enforcement Unit investigation in March and April.
- Deborah Keating, 40, 2200 Harpher, on Thursday was granted probation on a felony count of cultivating marijuana but was sentenced to six months in jail on a misdemeanor count of possessing marijuana. Keating was arrested and charged after local authorities found at least nine marijuana plants growing in her home.