Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, August 4, 1993

FIRE CHARS BASEMENT CONDOMINIUM

August 4, 1993

Advertisement

Lawrence firefighters Tuesday night extinguished a two-alarm fire that officials estimate caused $75,000 damage to a condominium complex.

Firefighters fought the blaze for 10 minutes after responding to an alarm that came in at 9:32 p.m., Battalion Chief Jerry Karr said. Reports indicated the firefighters arrived four minutes after the alarm came in.

The fire started in a basement condo's laundry room of the West Meadows Condominiums, 1301 Westbrook. A pile of clothing resting too close to a flame in a water heater was ruled as the cause of the fire.

The basement was ``gutted'' by fire, Karr said. The flames spread through the plumbing chase to the two condos directly above causing ``minor fire damage'' and smoke damage, he said.

``The majority of the damage was that basement apartment,'' he said.

Although initial alarm reports said three people were trapped in the building, everyone was out upon arrival, Karr said.

Three cats were rescued during the ordeal.

One firefighter was injured during the blaze, cutting his finger. He went to LMH for three stitches, said Karr.

Two condominium residents were examined for smoke inhalation by Douglas County Ambulance Service at the scene.

Four engines and a ladder truck responded to the fire, fire reports said.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.