Archive for Friday, April 30, 1993

HOUSE FIRE CAUSES $15,000 IN DAMAGE

April 30, 1993

Advertisement

A short circuit in an electrical cord ignited a house fire Thursday evening that caused an estimated $15,000 in damage, according to a Lawrence Fire Department report.

Firefighters received an alarm at 9:13 p.m. from the two-story house at 1701 Vt. The report said the fire was caused by a short in a lamp cord behind the headboard of a water bed. The first floor of the house sustained heavy smoke damage, and smoke also caused moderate damage to the second floor.

Gene Sweeney, 1703 W. Sixth, owns the house, and Mike Putman rented the first floor. The second floor is vacant. Nobody was home when the fire broke out, the report said.

Sweeney said the fire didn't cause any major structural damage. "I don't think it did that much damage smoke was about it and water in that one room," he said, adding the fire didn't spread to the walls.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.