Archive for Sunday, October 11, 1992


October 11, 1992


From the standpoint of Kansas State's offense, every view converged to a Jayhawk on the horizon.

"It was like they knew what we were doing," K-State quarterback Jason Smargiasso said after Kansas humbled the Wildcats, 31-7, on Saturday at KU's Memorial Stadium. "When we went outside, they'd be outside. When we went inside, they'd be inside. It was tough out there."

KU's defense made it more than tough on the 'Cats. Impossible was more like it.

K-State was held without a first down until 10:41 remained in the third quarter. The Wildcats, held to minus 32 total yards in the first half, didn't reach the positive side of total yards until their second possession of the fourth quarter.

"I don't think it was breakdowns," Smargiasso said. "They just flat outmanned us. It was definitely frustrating out there. That's something we haven't faced before."

THE WILDCATS gained just 69 yards minus 56 yards rushing and recorded only eight first downs. And Smargiasso was sacked nine times.

"Their front seven just went wild," Smargiasso said. "They just took over. I was thinking, `How can I get the ball out of here?'''

Quite frankly, he couldn't. Smargiasso completed 14 of 27 passes for 125 yards and had two intercepted.

"I think Kansas proved to us what we've been saying the past few weeks, and that is, we haven't been able to put it together yet," KSU coach Bill Snyder said. "That's the best defensive team we've played since I've been at Kansas State.

"The front four was awesome. They gave us no room to operate. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a defense or front four that played any better than they did today, and that may include being at North Texas or at Iowa."

That's lofty praise, indeed, from the coach of an intrastate rival. Still, Snyder placed some of their woes on the 'Cats, and specifically on himself.

"EMOTIONALLY, I thought we were prepared to play today," Snyder said. "However, physically, we were nowhere close to being ready to play on offense or defense. I did not do a good job of preparing my football team for the game."

The Wildcats' defense fared a little better than their offense. KSU allowed 245 yards in the first half and trailed just 17-7 at intermission.

Safety C.J. Masters intercepted a Chip Hilleary pass and returned it 80 yards for K-State's only score.

"They're a good team," Masters said. "They came out and whipped our butts. We know we're a good team. Now we have to concentrate our efforts on being a better team. We felt like we had a chance. We just had to make the plays."

KU's defense, however, wouldn't let that happen.

"THAT'S THE first time I've ever been through a game like that," offensive tackle Mike Orr said. "It was really frustrating. We'd come off the sideline thinking we had to make an adjustment. But there was nothing to adjust to. They were running everything we expected them to run, and we couldn't do anything about it."

Kansas State, 3-1 overall, 0-1 in the Big Eight, will travel next Saturday to Utah State.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.