Archive for Sunday, October 11, 1992


October 11, 1992


No one was immune to the congestion caused by Saturday's Kansas-Kansas State game. Even the participants fought traffic.

"The traffic jam on K-10 was great," KU coach Glen Mason said after the Jayhawks hammered K-State, 31-7.

Mason and the Jayhawks spend Friday nights in an Overland Park hotel before home games. They left at 10:10, a half hour earlier than normal, he said, and still struck gridlock about a mile east of the Farmland plant.

"I'm great at putting pressure on bus drivers," he said. "I started barking orders. And then our fine police department here in Lawrence, they picked us up at the city limits and got us here."

Mason was as impressed with Saturday's crowd of 52,000 as he was with the traffic.

"I was talking to (KU athletic director) Bob Frederick before the game," Mason said. "I looked at him and said, `Bob, did you ever think this would happen?' He kind of looked at me with `No' in his eyes, and I said, `I didn't think so, either.'"

John Laurie of Springfield, Mo., was the referee and Frank Gaines of Lincoln, Neb., the umpire. The other officials were Tom Ehlers (Lincoln), Paul Brown (Omaha), Scott Koch (York, Neb.), Rocky Ryan (St. Louis) and Artie Palk (Sand Springs, Okla.).

Strong safety Charley Bowen had to be helped off the field after suffering a knee injury in the fourth quarter. Dr. Ken Wertzberger, one of the team physicians, said he didn't think the injury was serious, but the senior from Lawrence would be checked again today.

KU recruiting coordinator R.D. Helt reported that 36 recruits were on hand Saturday. What does a win over K-State mean to recruiting? "Everything," Helt said.

With about one minute remaining, linemen Keith Loneker and Chris Maumalanga hoisted an ice water container and doused head coach Glen Mason from behind. This was Mason's third K-State game in Memorial Stadium and he's been doused after all three of them.

Kansas State has now dropped 11 straight games in Lawrence and 17 of its last 18 here.

Mason had admonished fans about throwing oranges on the field during the Cal game, and his words obviously sank in. Little fruit flew Saturday. "I had to duck a couple out there," Mason said, "but we're getting better."

Those 16-12 T-shirts the Jayhawks have been wearing since last spring may move to the back of the closet starting today.

"It's gone. It's burned," a grinning defensive tackle Dana Stubblefield said, referring to his shirt, designating the score of last year's KU-KSU game in Manhattan.

"We might have to keep 'em as a reminder of what can happen when you're not prepared," said offensive guard Hessley Hempstead.

Kansas is 4-1 for the first time since 1985, when it finished the season 6-6.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.