Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
Three cars parked in the 2500 block of West Sixth were broken into late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. A briefcase and computer equipment valued together on a police report at $400 were taken from one car, but nothing was reported taken from the other two cars.
Lawrence police received a report about 2:10 a.m. Sunday that a fire had been set in an apartment at Park Plaza South, 1821 W. 26th. Police reported that liquid had been poured on the carpet and set on fire, causing $25 damage. A neighbor extinguished the fire and no one was hurt.
Lawrence police received 10 reports of vandalism during the weekend involving cars and mailboxes across the city. Most of the incidents occurred late Saturday or early Sunday. Police received five reports of mailbox vandalism, causing a total of $165 damage. Police also received five reports of slashed car tires, causing a total of $740 in damage.
A 14-year-old Lawrence girl was treated Saturday at Lawrence Memorial Hospital and later released after she was struck by a car. Autumn D. McDaniel, 1020 W. 29th Ter., was crossing the 1000 block of 23rd Street about 9:33 p.m. when she was struck by a 1985 Toyota Celica driven by Amy S. Roberts, 22, 2100 Heatherwood. While McDaniel was being placed into an ambulance, a car traveling west on 23rd Street driven by Tara L. Wright, 16, Rt. 1, crashed head-on into a police car parked in the center turning lane. Wright wasn't hurt, but her car was damaged badly enough to be towed away, police said. Wright was cited for inattentive driving. McDaniel and another girl who was crossing the street with her, Mary A. Ingram, 14, 2228 Ohio, were both cited for jaywalking.
Tim D. Harmsen, 25, 923 Chalk Hill Ct., was listed in fair condition at Lawrence Memorial Hospital this morning with a broken pelvis. Harmsen was taken to LMH Saturday after an accident that occurred about 3:30 p.m. Harmsen's motorcyle collided with another motorcycle on Monterey Way, near Overland Drive. According to police reports, Jason Olds, 24, 1033 Rogers, was driving in front of Harmsen and another cyclist, Mark A. Shackelford, 24, 1900 W. 31st. When Olds braked, Harmsen also braked but his cycle went down. Shakelford, who was behind Harmsen, ran over his motorcyle. Harmsen was cited for inattentive driving and Shakelford was cited for driving with an expired registration.
Michael J. Sulls, 36, Eudora, was in fair condition this morning at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said. Sulls suffered several fractured bones in an accident Thursday about three miles south of Lawrence.
Dennis Lederer, 24, rural Baldwin, was in fair condition this morning at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan., a hospital spokesman said. Lederer was injured in a tractor accident Jan. 4 in a field near Baldwin Junction.
Ryan L. Garrison, 19, 1327 Covington Ct., was in serious condition this morning at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan. Garrison, a KU freshman, was injured in an accident Thursday on the KU campus. He is being treated for a closed head injury.
Gwendolyn Kennedy, 49, 3409 W. 25th, was listed in fair condition this morning at Stormont-Vail Regional Medical Center in Topeka, a hospital spokeswoman said. Kennedy was injured in an accident Wednesday on McDonald Drive near Second Street.
Kimberlee J. Back, 32, Oskaloosa, was in satisfactory condition this morning at Topeka's St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center. Back was injured in a car accident Jan. 3 in McLouth.
Responded at 10:31 a.m. Sunday to a fire in a deep fat fryer at Henry T's Bar & Grill, 3520 W. Sixth. Firefighters extinguished the fire, but not before an estimated $2,500 in damage had been caused. A fire department spokesman said the fire apparently occurred when the fryer's thermostat malfunctioned, allowing the fryer to heat up beyond normal operating temperatures.
Responded at 7:47 p.m. Sunday to a false alarm at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, 325 Maine.
Responded at 11:25 p.m. Sunday to a dumpster fire at Meadowbrook Apartments, 15th and Crestline. Firefighters extinguished the fire, which caused no damage to nearby buildings.
Responded at 4:34 a.m. today to a reported smell of natural gas at Meadowbrook Apartments, 15th and Crestline. According to fire reports, the resident reported hearing a "boom" in the furnace. Firefighters said the furnace was operating normally but they disconnected the gas and advised the resident to have the furnace checked.