Advertisement

Archive for Thursday, January 2, 1992

FOR THE RECORD

January 2, 1992

Advertisement

Law enforcement report

Burglaries and thefts reported

A 1985 Ford Escort station wagon valued on a police report at $10,000 was taken between 3:30 p.m. Monday and 1:15 p.m. Wednesday from the 1700 block of Massachusetts.

A 1984 GMC Sierra and miscellaneous items in the vehicle, valued together on a police report at $10,110, were taken about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday a parking lot in the 1000 block of Vermont.

Police reports

Lawrence police reported that at 11 p.m. Wednesday, an unidentified man placed a sack containing a loaded, sawed-off shotgun in some bushes just west of The Bank of Kansas/Lawrence, 955 Iowa. The sack was found after a passer-by reported seeing a man place something in bushes near the bank.

Sheriff's reports

An 18-year-old Lawrence woman reported Wednesday she was raped several times between July and December by a man she had been living with in Lecompton. A 20-year-old Lecompton woman, who also had been living with the two, reported Wednesday that she had been sexually harassed by the man. Douglas County Sheriff Loren Anderson said today that no arrests have been made, but deputies will investigate the reports.

Injury accidents

Haether A. Cook, 22, 1530 Eddingham, was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital and later released after an accident about 5 p.m. Tuesday. Cook was driving south on Ohio Street and tried to turn left onto 23rd Street when the vehicle she was driving collided with a vehicle driven by Amy S. Barbier, 21, 1301 W. 24th, who was westbound on 23rd Street. Cook was cited for failure to yield right of way.

Fire calls

Lawrence firefighters:

Responded to a report of smoke at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at 643 Tenn. Firefighters reported that cooking smoke in an apartment had activated the alarm.

Responded to a report of a suspicious odor, possibly coming from the furnace, at 7:12 p.m. Wednesday at a residence at 1503 W. 22nd. Lawrence firefighters and Kansas Public Service employees checked the area for a natural gas leak, but could find nothing.

Responded to a report of smoke at 3 p.m. Wednesday at a residence at 2108 Inverness. Firefighters found that steam coming from an outside dryer vent had been mistaken for smoke.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.