Law enforcement report
Burglaries and thefts reported
Miscellaneous items, including jewelry, a handgun and video games, were taken between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Thursday from a residence in the 1900 block of Countryside Lane. The items were valued together on a police report at $1,136.
Officers today revealed they have been investigating allegations that two local 11-year-old fifth-graders have been engaging in sexual intercourse with the encouragement of their parents. Police said the Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services has been investigating the case since October, when it was reported by a local public school teacher, who said the children's friends brought it to her attention. Police said they got involved after the teacher reported that the parents may be encouraging the sexual activity. No arrests have been made.
Lawrence police said someone set a tree on fire about 10 p.m. Thursday at the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity house, 1911 Stewart. Police said the fraternity received a telephone call that a tree was on fire outside their house and fraternity members put out the fire. Damage to the tree was estimated at $50. No suspects have been identified.
A 25-year-old Lawrence man was treated for head injuries at Lawrence Memorial Hospital and later released after being attacked early this morning by three men in North Lawrence, police said. The man told police he had been at a bar, then went to a party at a North Lawrence house after the bar closed. Police said the man couldn't recall the specific location of the house. Police said the man reported he was asked to leave the party after he was there about 30 minutes. After he walked out, he told police, he was attacked. Police said they found the man about 4:15 a.m. today at North Seventh and Maple after receiving a complaint from a resident in the 700 block of Grant that someone was pounding on her door. The man was taken by ambulance to LMH, where he received five stitches in his head, police said.
Were called at 6:49 p.m. Thursday to 3812 Sierra Ct. about a natural gas odor. Firefighters said they could not detect the odor and left the area after a gas utility crew arrived.