Archive for Sunday, August 23, 1992


August 23, 1992


A 35-year-old Lawrence man remained in the Douglas County Jail late Saturday in connection with a robbery Friday that marked the second time in three weeks a cashier at a North Lawrence grocery store had been victimized.

Eugene Edgerton, 447 Perry, was arrested early Saturday at his residence on charges stemming from the robbery of Roger's Northside Food Center, 608 N. Second.

Douglas County District Judge Jean Shepherd set bond at $75,000 for Edgerton, who is scheduled to make a first appearance on Monday in Douglas County District Court.

During an interview at the store, a 22-year-old cashier said he was in the courtesy booth about 8:55 p.m. when a man entered the store carrying a small silver pistol and a bag and demanded that he fill the bag with cash.

THE CASHIER said he gave the contents of a cash drawer to the man, who ran out of the store and dove headfirst into a car. Police said a witness helped track the car, which had no license plates, from Roger's Northside to Edgerton's home. Police sealed off the area after Edgerton refused to come out of the house. Officers negotiated with Edgerton, who surrendered after a six-hour standoff.

The cashier said the robber was wearing a black ski mask with no holes for the eyes or mouth.

"I don't know how he could see anything," the cashier said.

On July 26, the cashier was approached about 9 p.m. by a man wearing a bandanna over his head and mouth. The cashier said the man had his hand stuck in the waistband of his pants and covered by his shirt, making it appear as if he possibly had a gun.

THE MAN demanded cash and told the cashier to open the store safe. The cashier complied, and the man ran out.

The cashier said on Saturday that in both robberies, the men came to a side entrance of the courtesy booth and left in less than a minute.

The cashier said he was unsure whether the same man committed both robberies. He said the man who robbed the store on Friday appeared to be bigger than the man involved in the July 26 robbery.

Police have not disclosed the amount of money taken in either robbery.

Reportedly, Roger's Northside had not been robbed in at least five years before July 26.

"They didn't tell me this was going to be a high-risk job," joked the cashier, who said he was hired about a year ago.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.