Archive for Wednesday, October 30, 1991


October 30, 1991


The weather trick Mother Nature is perpetrating on the area will get worse before it gets better, the forecaster for Kansas University said today.

Lawrence received a trace of rain and freezing precipitation overnight, but more lots more is the forecast, said Craig Clark of KU's weather service. Clark's forecast calls for an 80 percent chance of freezing rain or snow tonight, a 90 percent chance of freezing rain, sleet or snow on Thursday and a 60 percent chance of light snow Thursday night.

The temperature is expected to drop to 30 degrees tonight and reach only 33 on Thursday. Thursday's low is forecast for 25 degrees. Clark said gusty east-northeast winds from 15 mph to 25 mph should prevail through Thursday. A 25-mph wind with a temperature of 30 degrees yields a wind-chill reading of 1 degree.

THE TRACE of precipitation was enough to make some highways in the county dangerous to drive on this morning. Three accidents were reported on the Kansas Turnpike west of Lawrence early this morning. One accident three miles west of town sent Richard C. Godsey, Fort Riley, to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with cuts, bruises and a dislocated shoulder.

Godsey's wife, Roxanne, was taken to Kansas University Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan., where her injuries were being evaluated late this morning. A third passenger in the truck was slightly injured and did not require treatment. Godsey's truck reportedly left the turnpike, rolled over several times and landed on its top, said Capt. Ted Thompson of the Kansas Highway Patrol.

TWO OTHER minor accidents were reported on the turnpike four miles west of Lawrence. No injuries were reported in either accident.

The Douglas County sheriff's department reported three separate weather-related accidents between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. today on or near the Wakarusa River Bridge on Kansas Highway 10, about four miles east of Lawrence.

The only reported injury was to Khosrow Jalali, 35, 132 Pinecone Dr. He was involved in an accident about 5:30 a.m. and was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Lawrence police did not report any weather-related accidents as of 10:30 a.m.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.