Archive for Tuesday, March 19, 1991

TASK FORCE PONDERS SAFE HOUSE FUTURE

March 19, 1991

Advertisement

The fate of the local Salvation Army shelter for homeless people may be announced Friday, after the agency's board of directors hears recommendations from a shelter task force.

Funding problems at the Salvation Army Safe House, 924 N.H., were discussed for about an hour Monday afternoon by about 10 members of the task force, made up of Salvation Army board members.

However, when contacted today, several people who attended Monday's meeting declined to say what recommendations will be made to the full board.

Questions about the recommendations were referred to Dick Zinn, a local attorney, and chairman of the Salvation Army board of directors. Attempts to contact Zinn today were unsuccessful.

"I think there is going to be some kind of an announcement on Friday," said John Churchill, local director of the Salvation Army.

The Safe House, which opened in January 1990, could shut down because it has become too expensive for the Salvation Army to operate without other funding sources, Churchill said.

The Safe House currently is filled to capacity with 19 people living there.

City, state and a Salvation Army divisional office grants helped open the Safe House and pay for the first six or seven months of operation. However, a source of continuing funding has not been established.

Since last fall, the Safe House has incurred more than $50,000 in expenses, which the Salvation Army has had to cover. The annual cost of operating the shelter exceeds $100,000, Churchill said.

Salvation Army board members said last week they did not know why large-scale funding efforts weren't started when grant money for the Safe House was gone.

The Salvation Army receives funding from an annual bell-ringing campaign, the United Way of Douglas County and city grants.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.