Advertisement

Archive for Monday, March 18, 1991

CHIMNEY HEAT BLAMED IN FIRE

March 18, 1991

Advertisement

Heat from a fireplace chimney was blamed for a fire early Sunday that caused $10,000 damage to a southeast Lawrence home.

Firefighters were called at 3:09 a.m. Sunday to the home, located at 1919 Harper, and found flames leaping from the roof when they arrived at 3:14 a.m.

The fire was declared under control at 3:25 a.m.

Dan Morrow, battalion chief, this morning said the source of the fire was a flue pipe that possibly had cracked. Morrow said most damage was to an exterior wall and the attic.

Sara Westergren, listed on a fire report as the occupant of the home, said her husband, Delbert, smelled smoke about 3 a.m. and went outside to see where it was coming from.

She said her husband went outside, saw the fire and called the fire department. No one was hurt.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.