Advertisement

Archive for Thursday, February 28, 1991

LINT IN DRYER SETS OFF BLAZE

February 28, 1991

Advertisement

A fire that began in a lint-clogged clothes dryer caused $20,000 damage late Wednesday to a house at 416 Sierra Dr.

"The dryer got extremely hot, primarily because I didn't clean the lint trap or filter," said Ed Hawkins, owner of the residence. "And there was lint in the vent tube. When the dryer got hot, it set off the lint. If you're going to do a story about this, tell people to check their lint traps and filters. It would have prevented a lot of problems for me."

Lawrence firefighters were called at 8:56 p.m. to the house and saw smoke coming from the residence when they arrived at 9:02 p.m.

Firefighters battled the blaze for 10 minutes before bringing it under control. Two engines and a ladder truck company were sent to the scene.

Hawkins, who lives alone, was not at home at the time. He said he had thrown a load of clothes in the dryer earlier in the evening and then had gone out.

Hawkins said he was at a friend's house watching television when someone called and told him there were fire trucks in front of his house.

During a telephone interview this morning from his workplace, Kief's Audio-Video, 2429 Iowa, Hawkins said the blaze destroyed the utility room of the home and also caused extensive damage to the kitchen.

"The microwave started to melt, the phone melted," he said. "There was a lot of heat."

Hawkins said firefighters told him that if the fire had progressed much further, it would have become much more serious.

"They said it was real close to really taking off," he said.

The fire was the second serious blaze this week in Lawrence. Early Tuesday, a fire that started in a cardboard box left on top of a heater caused $25,000 damage to a home at 432 La.

The occupant of that home, Dana Hawkins, was not at home when the fire started. The house was destroyed.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.