Archive for Wednesday, August 14, 1991

FIRE DAMAGES MOBILE HOME

August 14, 1991

Advertisement

A fire apparently sparked by a welding torch today gutted a mobile home in Gaslight Village Mobile Home Park, 1900 W. 31st. There were no injuries.

Thirteen firefighters responded to the blaze, which was reported at 11:55 a.m. Once on the scene, it took firefighters just 10 minutes to douse the fire, Battalion Chief Dan Morrow said.

The owner of the mobile home, Jerry Schick, 35, was working in Baldwin and was not home at the time of the fire.

The man's father, Don Schick, 59, Lone Star, who was at the scene, said the fire began when a repairman was welding on an air-conditioner.

"He was welding and the thing caught on fire," Don Schick said.

Don Schick's wife, Marjorie, was in the mobile home at the time of the fire but escaped with no injuries. She was the lone occupant in the mobile home when the fire started, and she turned in the alarm.

Early this afternoon, firefighters had not made a damage estimate, nor have they officially listed a cause of the fire.

The lot number on the mobile home is E-14.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.