Archive for Monday, October 29, 1990

MORNING STOVE FIRE DESTROYS MOBILE HOME

October 29, 1990

Advertisement

A fire caused by a stove burner that was accidentally left on destroyed a mobile home in southeast Lawrence this morning.

Lawrence firefighters were called about 8:20 a.m. to the mobile home, at 1440 E. 23rd Lot No. 5, and saw flames in the front of the trailer when they arrived.

Firefighters fought the blaze for about 10 minutes before bringing it under control.

Fire Capt. Don Beckner said the blaze gutted the kitchen, caused fire damage through much of the interior and also caused heavy smoke damage throughout the mobile home.

Beckner said the trailer was a total loss. He estimated damage at $4,000 to the mobile home and $4,000 to its contents.

He said a cat died in the trailer from smoke inhalation.

Beckner said the occupants, Keith and Allison Visocsky, left for work about an hour before the fire was reported. He said the Visocskys locked the trailer when they left but apparently forgot to turn off the burner.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.