Six local properties take a major step tonight toward becoming the first entries on the Lawrence Register of Historic Places.
Nominations for the six properties will be reviewed by the Lawrence Historic Resources Commission during public hearings at 7:30 p.m. in the first floor meeting room at city hall, Sixth and Massachusetts.
If the properties pass muster with the historic resources commission, the nominations will be forwarded to the Lawrence City Commission for final consideration.
The six properties whose nominations will be considered tonight are the Duncan-Tucker house, 933 Tenn., an Italianate villa built in 1869; the John N. Roberts house, 1307 Mass., a Richardson Romanesque mansion built in 1894 and now housing the Castle Tea Room; the Judge Nelson T. Stephens house, 340 N. Mich., a villa style house built in 1871; the Dr. Frederic D. Morse house, 1041 Tenn., a Queen Anne style house built in 1889; the Frank and Nelle Benedict house, 923 Tenn., a Queen Anne style duplex dating to 1869; and the Robert H. Miller house, 1111 E. 19th, a territorial period house built in 1858.
Four of the six houses already are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Reviews are currently under way to determine whether the Benedict house and the Morse house also should be included on the National Register.
The historic preservation ordinance, adopted by the Lawrence City Commission in 1988, made the first-ever provision for a Lawrence Register of Historic Places.
The ordinance established the seven-member Historic Resources Commission, whose major task is to recommend landmarks and historic districts for the Lawrence register. The ordinance protects registered landmarks and historic districts by regulating construction, improvements and demolition of properties designated as landmarks or within historic districts.