Archive for Tuesday, August 14, 1990

OFFICIALS SAY FIRE AT BAR WAS ARSON

August 14, 1990

Advertisement

Firefighters have determined that arson was the cause of a fire early this morning at a downtown Lawrence bar, Lawrence Fire Chief Jim McSwain said.

Eighteen firefighters were called at 12:53 a.m. today to Red's Place, 801 N.H., to extinguish the fire, which started after gasoline was ignited on the outside of a window at the establishment, McSwain said.

The bar was closed at the time of the fire, which caused about $1,000 damage, officials said.

There were no injuries, but 28 people were evacuated from A.J.s, a bar located around the corner on Eighth Street.

McSwain said today that fire investigators have no suspects in connection with the fire.

The owner of Red's Place, James Ross, said today he did not know why anyone would want to set fire to his bar.

"I can't think of any reason," he said.

Ross said he was making repairs today and he plans to be open for business tonight.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.