Advertisement

Archive for Friday, April 20, 1990

April 20, 1990

Advertisement

A 36-year-old rural Eudora man burned extensively in a propane explosion at his home three weeks ago remained in serious condition this morning.

Danny Abel, who was burned when a propane heating system used to heat his greenhouse exploded about 8 a.m. March 31 while he was attempting to relight it. The explosion occurred at Abel's residence, which is on Douglas County Road 442 near the intersection with Evening Star Road.

Abel has been in the burn unit at Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan., since the accident, where he has been listed in serious condition nearly since the accident occurred.

A nursing supervisor at the medical center said shortly after Abel was admitted to the burn unit that he had received second- and third-degree burns over the upper 50 percent of his body. He has been undergoing skin graft operations.

Authorities speculate that the propane heating system's pilot light went out the night before and that the greenhouse filled with propane, which ignited and exploded when Abel attempted to relight the system.

Emergency personnel responding to the accident found Abel in the front room of his house. Relatives say Abel ran to the house and asked a relative inside the home to call police.

Abel is a rural mail carrier who also farms. He grows watermelons and cantelopes in the greenhouse, relatives said.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.