Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, April 8, 1990

COUNTY TO DISCUSS BRIDGE AGREEMENT

April 8, 1990

Advertisement

An agreement with Leavenworth County for the repair of the Kansas River bridge north of Eudora will highlight the Douglas County Commission meeting Monday.

Frank Hempen, county public works director, estimated the cost of the Kansas River bridge deck replacement project at $1.4 million. The project, which will require the bridge to be closed to traffic for nine months to a year, probably will be started in 1991 or '92, he said.

Hempen said the agreement outlines the cost-sharing arrangement. The agreement, based on each county's assessed valuation, calls for Douglas County to pick up about 62 percent of the project's cost and Leavenworth County to cover the rest, about 38 percent.

The agreement also makes Douglas County, which initiated the project, responsible for managing the bridge repairs.

Commissioners will have to decide how to pay for their share of the project, whether through bonds or the county's bridge fund, he said. That decision probably will come this spring when commissioners examine the capital improvement plan that's now under development, Hempen said.

ALSO MONDAY, commissioners will consider setting a lower weight limit on another bridge near Eudora.

Hempen said he will recommend that commissioners lower the gross weight limit on the Wakarusa River bridge on Douglas County Road 442 west of Eudora. Deterioration of the old steel-truss bridge makes it advisable to lower the weight limit from 15 tons to 10 tons, he said.

The commission meeting is scheduled for 9 a.m. Monday at the Douglas County Courthouse, 11th and Massachusetts.

IN OTHER business, commissioners are scheduled to:

Review and consider approval of a request by the Valleyview Care Home board of trustees to increase the board treasurer's bond limit from $300,000 to $500,000.

Discuss the possible preparation of a county fact book with Hardy Montague of Data Books Inc., Kansas City, Kan.

Be briefed by Mark Matese, director of Douglas County Community Corrections, on adult work-release and juvenile detention program survey results.

Consider approval of a resolution classifying the roads in Oakwood Estates Subdivision as township roads and assigning maintenance of the roads to Wakarusa Township.

Consider approval of a request from the Douglas County Amateur Radio Club to use Wells Overlook Park south of Lawrence on Douglas County Road 458 for an amateur radio field day June 23-24.

Consider approval of a contract with Tom and Linda Davison for purchase of right of way in connection with the 31st Street improvement project.

Consider approval of the purchase of a garden tractor for county buildings and grounds.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.