Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, April 7, 1990

FAULTY FLUE PIPE GETS BLAME FOR FIRE THAT DAMAGED HOME

April 7, 1990

Advertisement

A faulty flue pipe led to a fire Friday that caused extensive damage to a south Lawrence home.

Firefighters were called at 2:35 p.m. to the home, located at 2634 Manor Ter., and saw flames shooting through the roof when they arrived two minutes later.

They fought the blaze for more than a half-hour and finally wrestled it under control at 3:09 p.m.

Damage was listed at $75,000.

Firefighters reported today that links in the woodstove flue pipe in the family room of the home had become separated because of faulty installation.

The owner of the house, Jim Carpenter, said he had a fire in the woodstove Thursday night, when temperatures were in the 30s. He said he had no idea that anything was wrong with the flue.

"This winter, I burned it all the time," Carpenter said.

Firefighters are unsure when the fire started, but a fire department spokesman said the blaze may have ignited several hours before it was reported.

A resident at the Heritage Manor nursing home, 1800 W. 27th, reported the fire.

Carpenter, his wife and their two children have lived in the one-story home for 10 years and were in the process of remodeling the interior when the fire broke out. No one was home when the fire started, Carpenter said.

Lawrence Fire Capt. Jerry Karr said three engines and a ladder truck were sent to the Carpenter home. He said a total of 22 firefighters helped battle the blaze.

The fire apparently started near the ceiling and spread through the attic. When the flames broke through the attic walls, firefighters reported, gusty winds caused the fire to spread quickly. A large portion of the roof was destroyed.

Karr said most of the damage was caused by flames and not smoke.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.