Archive for Monday, April 2, 1990

April 2, 1990

Advertisement

A rural Eudora man injured in an explosion at his home Saturday was upgraded from critical to serious condition this morning at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan.

Danny Abel, 36, was seriously burned when propane used to heat a greenhouse outside his home ignited and exploded.

Abel was transported by Johnson County Med-Act to KUMC and is being treated in the hospital's burn unit, where he remained this morning, according to a hospital spokesman.

A nursing supervisor at the hospital said Abel suffered second- and third-degree burns on 50 percent of his body.

The explosion occurred about 8:15 a.m. Saturday at Abel's residence, located on Douglas County Road 442, about one-quarter mile west of Evening Star Road in Johnson County.

Officials at the scene Saturday morning said Abel apparently was trying to ignite the propane heating system from inside the greenhouse when the explosion occurred. Authorities speculate that the greenhouse filled with propane after the heating sytem's flame went out during the previous night.

Officers who responded said Abel was found on the living room floor of his house, about 60 feet from where the explosion occurred. According to relatives, Abel ran from the greenhouse and into the residence after being burned.

Abel is a rural mail carrier who also farms.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.