Archive for Sunday, April 1, 1990


April 1, 1990


A 36-year-old rural Eudora man injured in an explosion Saturday was listed in critical condition Saturday night at the Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City, Kan..

The man, Danny Abel, was seriously burned when propane used to heat a greenhouse outside his home ignited and exploded.

Abel was being treated in the medical center's burn unit Saturday night. A medical center nursing supervisor said Abel suffered second- and third-degree burns on 50 percent of his body.

The explosion occurred between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. Saturday at Abel's residence, located on Douglas County Road 442, about one-quarter mile west of Evening Star Road in Johnson County, said Lt. Bob Miller of the Johnson County Sheriff's office.

Abel apparently was trying to ignite the propane heating system from inside the greenhouse, a Johnson County sheriff's officer on the scene said.

Authorities Saturday had no more information on the cause of the explosion.

Officers at the scene said Abel was found on living room floor of his house about 60 feet from where the explosion occurred.

According to a friend, Abel is a rural mail carrier who also farms.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.