The World Company requires real names for commenting and contributing content to its websites. We verify real names by requiring users to link their accounts to their Facebook accounts OR login to your account on our site and request manual verification. Read more about the how and why of this decision here. The World Company reserves the right to contact individual users directly to verify legitimacy.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Why are real names and Facebook verification required?
We see the purpose of the comments as a forum for engaging and intelligent conversation. However, the cloak of anonymity hasn’t furthered that purpose, so we’ve decided to require users to post on the site under their real names, verified via Facebook or manual verification. Read more about that decision here.
• Is a Facebook account required to comment?
No. If you do not have one, you can create an account on Facebook.com. You cannot comment or add content to our site without verifying your name through Facebook or manual verification.
• Will my Facebook profile be public? Will my site comments also appear on Facebook?
No. We are only using Facebook as one of the back-end verification tool when you register your account. Your Facebook profile will not be made accessible via our website.
• Can I remain anonymous?
No. If you wish to continue to comment, you must verify your account with Facebook or manual verification, and therefore be nonanonymous. Anonymous users are still welcome to use the website, but not to comment.
• I’ve been commenting anonymously for years. What happens to those comments?
If you verify your current account via Facebook or manual verification, all previous comments will immediately appear under your real name. If you don't want your previous comments to appear under your name, register a new account, have it verified, and only your future comments will appear with your name. Previous comments not attached to a verified account will remain under their original username.
• What if I want to keep my comment history anonymous?
All comment history will be attached to your identity/account and will become nonanonymous. To avoid this, you will have to create a new account and verify it.
• How do I verify my account with Facebook?
To verify an account:
- Commenting forms are at the bottom of every article. From there, click the “Connect to Facebook” button. A new window will appear prompting you to sign in with your Facebook credentials. If you don’t have a Facebook account, you may create one here.
- Sign in and click “Okay.”
- You will be returned to the article page. Your real name, as it appears on Facebook, will display.
- Commence commenting.
To register for a new account:
- Click “Sign in” at the top left-hand corner of the website.
- Click “Create a new account.”
- Follow the steps to create a new account.
- Once your account is created, and you decide to comment, follow the above steps for verification.
• What if my question wasn't answered here?
Contact email@example.com for further help.