Surface Tension | Prints and Drawings by Kristen Martincic
- Categories: Art | Exhibit
- Event posted: April 25, 2013
- Last updated: Sept. 16, 2014
On view April 26 – May 26, 2013
Emerging artist Kristen Martincic is a serene but powerful force rising to the forefront of the contemporary print world. Martincic's signature work layers soft monotype gradients and delicate line drawing atop translucent Japanese paper. In the Skin Suits series, the paper is shaped to recall modest bathing suits of the 1950s. Dry and crisp and thin as onion skins, the evocative Skin Suits are balanced by Martincic's water series. In these, shallow cerulean swimming pools are mounted on deep-sided panels, with improbable ladders wrapping around their edges. Her work, the artist explains, "explores the connection between the body and water. I use bathing suits and environments associated with water to reveal the fine line between public and private, intimacy and exposure, skin and clothing."
A timely show for a long-lingering winter, Martincic's Surface Tension will remain on view through May 26th. Meet the artist, and perhaps learn a few of her printmaking tricks, at our Final Friday opening. A new original, affordable print edition will accompany the exhibition.
- Ongoing until Monday, May 27, 2013
- Sundays from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Mondays from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Thursdays from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Fridays from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Wonder Fair: Art Gallery, Shoppe and Studio, 803 1/2 Massachusetts St., Lawrence
- Cost: Free
- Age limit: All ages