2012-2013 printmaking artist-in-residence Patrick Vincent. Stigmergic
May 17 thru June 22 Reception May 17, 7-9 pm INSIGHT Art Talk May 21, 7 pm
The carvings and books presented are the result of a project specific to Vincent's residency with the Lawrence Arts Center. He wanted a way of framing my experience and the people encountered throughout the residency while maintaining this interest in human/animal cultures. The project offered a free handmade print from a hand-carved relief image to anyone willing to participate. Participants submitted an image of their face and selected a bug (insect, arachnid, slug, snail...etc.) to be merged with their picture; the carvings were printed and sent to each person for free, as a form of gift and exchange. The group nature of this project has defined the look of the exhibition in a way suggested by the title "stigmergic" -- a term first coined by French biologist Pierre-Paul Grass -- to qualify the way termites' actions impact their environment, and how the collected efforts of a group create a cohesive presence. This exhibition is the outcropping of the collected efforts of 150 people who decided to engage with my project.
- Ongoing until Saturday, June 22, 2013
- Sundays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Mondays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Fridays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire St., Lawrence