Sam Chung: Float
- Categories: Art | Exhibit
- Event posted: Dec. 5, 2013
- Last updated: Dec. 5, 2013
thru January 5
Please see reception for all purchases.
Artwork purchased can be taken within 24 hours of transaction.
ARTIST'S STATEMENT - I operate within the context of traditional pottery and the
language of form, function and design. The ceramic vessel has its own identity
throughout most cultures, and I am interested in its universal familiarity to provide an accessible entry point into my work. Aside from utilitarian function, my work explores relationships between aspects of art, identity, traditional craft,
contemporary design and architecture.
Over the last several years, I have become increasingly interested in using the
cultural identity in ceramic objects to not only specify a sense of origin, but
also push up against it. My recent work references cloud imagery and pottery forms originating from traditional Korean art and design. These references serve as the anchor to point towards my own ethnic lineage, but also question my sense of belonging within or outside of it. The Clouds are a surrogate for this floating sense of belonging, and also represent a source of aesthetic, formal and personal freedom within these timeless, traditional pottery forms.
- Ongoing until Sunday, January 5, 2014
- Sundays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Mondays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Fridays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H., Lawrence