Prepared: Strategies for Activists (William T. Kemper Foundation International Artist-in-Residence
Beijing-based artist Chen Shaoxiong visited the Spencer Museum of Art for a month-long residency that examined the anatomy of social protests. In light of the recent political movements around the world from the Arab Spring to the Occupy Wall Street movement, this project strove to understand the broader historical and cultural iterations of demonstration strategies and tactics. Designed as a training camp for activists, Chen’s residency consisted of forums, workshops, interviews and speakers that challenged participants to become “prepared activists.” The installation includes videos, photography, workshop notes, social media, training equipment, pedagogical media, conference records and various sketches.
- Ongoing until Sunday, July 22, 2012
- Sundays from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Fridays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Spencer Museum of Art, 1301 Miss., KU campus, Lawrence
- Cost: Free
- Age limit: All ages