Why I Left the Republican Party”

Details

• Categories: Politics | All
  • Event posted: March 13, 2013
  • Last updated: March 13, 2013

Event details

Former State Senator Jean Schodorf: "Why I Left the Republican Party" Former State Senator Jean Schodorf of Wichita will speak this Saturday about her recent departure from the Republican Party, and why she is now a Democrat. A three-term state senator, Schodorf was first elected to the Kansas Senate in 2001. During her tenure, Schodorf served as chair of the Senate Education Committee. In 2012, Schodorf and other moderate Republicans were targeted by Gov. Sam Brownback. After a barrage of misleading, negative attacks by groups like Americans for Prosperity (AFP) and the Chamber of Commerce, Schodorf was defeated in the Republican Primary by conservative candidate and Brownback disciple, Michael O’Donnell. Shortly after the election, Schodorf announced plans to switch parties and register as a Democrat. “As a lifelong republican I feel as though the Republican Party, nationally and at the state level, no longer represents me,” she said at the time. “My family has been Republican since Lincoln – since the party started. My parents, my grandparents, my great-grandparents were all Republicans. But it’s changed. There’s no room for people who actually think in moderation.” Since leaving office, Schodorf has launched a blog, Our Kansas Voice, with fellow former state Senator, Dick Kelsey. “We decided to create Our Kansas Voice because we are concerned that real debate or opposing views will be missing or ignored in Topeka over the next couple of years,” Schodorf said. According to the organization’s website, the purpose is to provide an independent forum to talk about issues and to encourage citizens to get involved in government. Sponsored by Douglas County Democrats All Welcome

Comments

pigballin 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Because you joined the liberals is that you want to get more freebies or grants and that someone else can pay your taxes. Libs only know how spend someone else's money... Another Liberal LJW article...More taxes out of your pocket and less freedom. Libs: know what is best for you...lambs to slaughter.

MacHeath 9 months, 4 weeks ago

Goldwater called them "the kooks in the Republican party"

He told Dole once "Can you believe we are moderates now?"

The GOP is being ran into the ground by the religious right, big business, and the banks. I wonder what Jesus would think?

cheeseburger 11 months ago

This event is two months past date. Why does it keep showing up? Take it off already. If it was a conservative event, it would have been removed immediately, if not not posted at all!

bobberboy 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I was a republican then an independent and now a democrat. Took about 10 years.

75x55 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Why I left the Republican Party.... They turned into Democrats.

jevonbellam 11 months, 3 weeks ago

my best friend's half-sister makes $86 every hour on the laptop. She has been unemployed for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $15839 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site FAB33.COM_only

2manyshoes 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I left the party over the abortion issue. I stopped funding the KS GOP over the abortion issue. I have not voted for any GOP, excepting the chosen few, since the mid-90's. But hey, the democrats are no better than the GOP at this point in time. They are both designed to divide a country that really needs to stay united.

We need at least five political parties in this country, while the mainstream media needs to be forced to recognize all five as valid and representative.

The religious right should be their own party, and totally independent of the GOP.

Clinton Laing 1 year ago

I look forward to the tax-supported address to the Lawrence public, from a similarly motivated individual, as to why they left the DeomcRat party.

midwest_muser 1 year ago

How many parties' banner can one person lose an election under?

reality_check79 1 year ago

In other news unemployment claims are up for 4th consecutive week...

overplayedhistory 1 year ago

The longer it takes for people to realize, the party is radically different than it was 20 years ago let alone before 64, the longer it will take to get them back after they actually leave.

toe 1 year ago

I would also like to hear why she left her husband. However, that lecture is next month.

imin88limbo 1 year, 1 month ago

I just hope you have some staying power. And that there are some more newer responsible Republicans additional to and like Rochelle Chronister, Governor Mike Hayden, Doctor Ed Flentje, the late Jack Ransom, and others who have enough energy and hope and "fight" in them to join with the responsible democrats of that same era, to oppose the further erosion fo freedom and progress in Kansas. I believe Joan Wagnon and her colleagues would welcome that. How about it Bill Bunten?

tange 1 year, 1 month ago

“Why I Left the Republican Party...”

too much preposterone in the room.

_

Armstrong 1 year, 1 month ago

Schodorf was defeated in the '12 election, the election she ran in as a Republican. Ask yourself if Schodorf had won would she be in Larryville? Jean hasn't "seen the light " Jean was voted out and is looking at reinventing herself.

avarom 1 year, 1 month ago

It isn’t just about me and minimizing my tax burden–I have a broader responsibility and interest than just worrying about me. I’m not in favor of the government or a political party supporting and promoting the agenda of narrow interests as I’ve seen the Republican party. I'm I favor a woman’s right to chose because it isn’t up to me or the State to do anything other than protect an individuals rights. I’ve worked my entire career in management and executive management to support pay and worker equality. My best performers have almost always been women! Barack Obama shares this belief about women. I’m in favor of diplomacy and reject the Bush Doctrine of unilateral, preemptive strikes against another sovereign nation unless it is the only course of action possible. I’m not in favor of bringing Democracy to the entire planet (or at least to those nations that have oil) at taxpayer expense.
When it comes to armed conflict, our Armed Forces should be managed fully by the military, not by politicians. If we are going to send our men and women into harms way, the rules of engagement should be to win. We’ve lost over 4,000 men and women due to a nation-building effort, not due to a “war.” I am not in favor of redistributing wealth via our system of taxation but I’m also not in favor of leaving people behind because of “me, me, me.” Somewhere, there has to be a balance between these extremes. I’m disgusted by the Bush/Cheney Administration and all they’ve done to undermine the U.S. Constitution and our standing in the world. I want balance on the Supreme Court, not a Court of hand-picked individuals in place merely to push the agendas of narrow specical interests. I appreciate that our nation is built on a separation of church and state; I want it to stay that way. I am in favor of a government that values fiscal restraint, not printing money like there is no tomorrow as we are seeing now.

Is the Democratic party perfect? Far from it! But, it offers a lot more to the world than the Republican party at this point. And, it offers a lot more to America at this point.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 1 month ago

This GOP is working for ALEC not republicans or Kansas. Brownback has had the backing of ALEC for more than 20 years or as long as he has been a politician.

ALEC is not a lobby; it is not a front group. It is much more powerful than that.

Through the corporate-funded American Legislative Exchange Council, global corporations and state politicians vote behind closed doors to try to rewrite state land federal laws that govern your rights.

These so-called "model bills" reach into almost every area of American life and often directly benefit huge corporations.

In ALEC's own words, corporations have "a VOICE and a VOTE" on specific changes to the law that are then proposed in your state. DO YOU?

United States of ALEC – Bill Moyers http://www.democracynow.org/2012/9/27/the_united_states_of_alec_bill

ALEC – The Voice of Corporate Special Interests in State Legislatures http://www.pfaw.org/rww-in-focus/alec-the-voice-of-corporate-special-interests-state-legislatures

ALEX EXPOSED – The Koch Connection http://www.thenation.com/article/161973/alec-exposed-koch-connection

ALEC – Ghostwriting The Law for Corporate America http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/xchg/justice/hs.xsl/15044.htm

ALEC EXPOSED http://www.alecexposed.org/wiki/ALEC_Exposed

ALEC Private Schools - Corporate Education Reformers Plot Next Steps at Secretive Meeting http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/02/02-9

John McCoy 1 year, 1 month ago

Ms. Schodorf, welcome to the party of yes.

willgill 1 year, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, this seems the prevailing direction of a cradle to grave nanny state. We have record numbers on public assistance and record number of those willing to keep them as their constituency. RIP opportunity and personal responsibility

Liberty275 1 year, 1 month ago

“Why I Left the Republican Party”

"Schodorf was defeated in the Republican Primary"

James Nelson 1 year, 1 month ago

Welcome to the party of the decent, intelligent, caring, thoughtful and honest politicians who don't believe it is necessary to hide behind lies, half truths and secret sessions and represent only the greedy and selfish.