Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Giving up the (water) bottle

Comments

Agnostick 2 years, 5 months ago

I generally re-use plastic bottles until they crack, then buy a new one. My favorite is the Aquafina 1-liter bottle with the wider mouth/cap. Easier to fill up at free water fountains, or the sink (our sink has a Culligan water filter).

I like to sometimes put a half-filled bottle in the freezer overnight... then you have cold water for quite a while.

mcontrary 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank goodness for bottled water no matter the source. Before bottled water, there was often no way or nowhere to find any kind of non-pop, non-beer beverages away from home. Not everyone has access to water durring their day except for bottled water. Carrying a pitcher, thermos or cooler with water is impractical for many. Every bottle of water consumed is one less bottle of soda. There are huge numbers of soda bottles sold, many more than water and sodas are not what anyone should be consuming. Enough with the bottled water criticisms and start nagging at soda bottles. Are the soft drink manufacturers lobbying too effectively for anyone to jump on them? Charge a deposit on every plastic beverage bottle form any source, but don't deprive people of bottled water.

Lawrence Morgan 2 years, 5 months ago

The real problem is the plastic. It's now in the oceans in small pieces everywhere; fish are eating it, and then people eat the fish.

Take a look and see it for yourself:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/the-worlds-rubbish-dump-a-tip-that-stretches-from-hawaii-to-japan-778016.html

ThePilgrim 2 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence water is not so bad when you run it through a Brita filter. Much better than the "sewer known as Wichita"'s water. "I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board"...

JJE007 2 years, 5 months ago

It's painful to think about the ridiculous logistics of herding filtered tapwater into bottles and driving it to market. That's just crazy. Do it at home.

Pete_Schweti 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. If our water didn't taste like A55, I would drink it in lieu of bottled water. I need to bite the bullet and buy a filter, but the last time I did that, cartridges in less than a year no longer available for it. Still though, I'm sure it's cheaper (and more environmentally responsible) to filter our own. Well, save for the manufacturing pollution created making filters that will be worthless when the next model becomes popular...

walkthehawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I try to avoid bottled water, but I think it has to be said--the taste of Lawrence's city water is pretty iffy for much of the year, and downright disgusting whenever there's an algal bloom. Add to that the information we have about atrazine contamination and the lack of local testing and treatment, and you have the rationale for our family's use of a filter for all of our drinking water. I wish we didn't have to--I grew up in the mountains where water tastes like water right out of the tap. I get that bottled water is just filtered municipal water, at least when purchased from PepsiCo--but it doesn't resemble OUR city water, and that's a good thing.

When downstream water quality is taken as seriously as upstream profits, I'll join the tap-water-only campaign. Until then, perhaps we could direct our attention to agricultural runoff and other issues that cause water quality problems in the first place.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.