Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: Disheartening bill

Comments

Richard Heckler 10 months ago

There is no rewriting of this ignorant homophobic legislation. It goes in the trash.

Remember this is the same party and leadership that consistently supports tax cuts for the Kansas 1% and votes against public education. Yes that is Susan Wagle absolutely!

ALEC hate runs deep.

John Birch Society Celebrates Koch Family For Their Role In Founding The Hate Group http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/06/10/242334/john-birch-society-celebrates-koch/

Leslie Swearingen 10 months ago

Scott, I want you to know that even though I have never met you I do love you and I totally support your right to live your life in a way that makes you happy. To do otherwise would be to deny you your life and I really don't think people think things though all the way when they seek to do this to others.

I see some who have lived conventional lives and in old age are angry, bitter and pinched. I wonder what they would be like if they had felt they had a right to another course.

Fred Mertz 10 months ago

Scott, you seem like a decent intelligent person. I want you and everyone else to be treated equally by our government and by individuals. I think where we disagree is I believe our government must treat everyone equally. I believe that individuals should treat others with respect and kindness but they should not be compelled to treat everyone equally. It may be wrong but individuals should be free to discriminate.

I don't think someone should be told by the government what they must do with their products, services and goods. They should be free to sell or provide them to whomever they want or not.

I think there should be consequences for those that discriminate but they should be impose by other individuals not the government. No one should be held criminally or civilly liable for not providing a good or service.

The government must treat all people equally but individuals do not. I find it interesting that some will vehemently disagree with me even to the point of personal attacks but they would scream bloody murder if the government made all discrimination illegal.

Think about it - no women only gyms, no dress codes, no age restrictions, no standardized test requirements, no women only sports, no race based scholarships. Want equality? Want a nation without discrimination. Then end all discrimination, not just the discrimination you think is good.

Abdu Omar 10 months ago

I don't know this man, Scott, but I was taken back by his opening statement. Who cares how many roles, titles and distictions you have, what is your point? You are arguing for a cause that I think may have been won, although Kansas legislature has yet to find out. But in your casting off of titles, roles and distictions, none of which this reader is familiar, what right or discrimination are you struggling against? Are you Muslim, Catholic, black, semitic, gay, lesbian, Puerto Rican, Hispanic of any kind, disabled, mentally challenged, short, fat, or other? What are you that needs this letter to fix the discrimination you feel, you never say, so those of us who do not know you are left in the dark.

Scott Criqui 10 months ago

Thanks for the support Richard and Leslie! I appreciate it!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.