Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On New wave of oil drilling disrupts rural neighborhoods

Comments

Bob Smith 2 months, 1 week ago

Don't get all inflamed. There are already multiple oil pipelines running through the Midwest. They've been there for decades. http://www.theodora.com/pipelines/united_states_pipelines_map.jpg And now you know....

Melinda Toumi 2 months, 1 week ago

Fracking and tar sands pipeline running through the Midwest where we grow the food... What are we... Dodo birds?!?

Staci Dark Simpson 2 months, 1 week ago

That's awful. It's a lesson in never buy anything that someone else can have any access to. The owner of the drilling company sounds like a spiteful jerk. I want to know how Kansas is letting him get away with over drilling. Drilling in the middle of someone's barn and next to a water well is spiteful. I hope this guy is stopped but I don't think it will happen unless someone gets a high profile, expensive lawyer. Too bad he couldn't have worked with the property owners or at least notified them. Crappy business practices by this company, they need to be exposed, and also the state for letting him get away with it.

Mike Ford 2 months, 1 week ago

my inner child is not the problem here. thanks for the distraction away from the "Drill, Baby, Drill" party. Anyone remember the genius comments from that political genius Sarah Palin? I have three decades of experience of watching a certain political party create false outrage and the faux science of distraction to convince the real victims of these policies to keep voting for the politicians that victimize them. I was taught in my science class as a fourteen year old at Manhattan High School in Manhattan, Kansas, about acid rain and the warming of the climate when smog and cfc's didn't allow sunlight to return to the sun thus trapping this sunlight in our atmosphere and warming the climate. This was 1984-85. This was during the Reagan years. How would the tea partiers deny this real part of my educational experience? The denial needs to be pierced. All the GOP has is volume and denial. Fracking sends water and chemicals violently through underground strata. Holes are blown in previously isolated areas of underground water aquifers thus creating such a duh moment that the gop ignores. Basic science ignored??? really?? why not? it's Kansas of course. Money is more important than people or the preservation of the environment long term.

Norm Jennings 2 months, 1 week ago

Unfortunately, during a long dormant period to technology hurdles to profitable petroleum mining in Kansas, too many landowners (or want-to-be landowners) and industry alike have forgotten what is means to be good neighbors (and frankly good businesses).

I sympathize with both parties here, and there isn't clever, gotcha, one-liner here that is applicable for anyone other than snarky bystanders. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Legalities and Politics always apply, but can be wielded as a tool rather than a blunt weapon (equally applicable to both parties). Shame on any opportunists who drop in on either side with only capital (either financial or political) to gain. I'm sure there will be both involved in this issue. Blindly fingerpointing at opposing political parties may placate your inner child, but shows a frightening ignorance of the decades of history and precedence that attempted to reach legal fairness with a great deal more thought than any commenter to this article (myself included).

Mike Ford 2 months, 1 week ago

I'll let the cat out of bag since this area is in my neighborhood. Whose to blame for this situation? the deregulating pro business republican party of course. ironically many Kansans vote for this party without connecting the dots which is what this political party counts on....people not connecting the dots. some people are so disconnected and blindly convinced that when someone connects the dots these particular people are offended. these people are asking for regulation and which party is historically against rules? why the repubiican party of course. deregulation is the whole reason the Koch brothers death star is involved in politics. who wants to follow rules? just run over the people and ignore them whether it's oil leases like this, habitat for the lesser prairie chicken, water for the Kickapoo Nation, or the South Lawrence Trafficway. Until people wake up and vote do nothing shills for the economic darwinists out of office and kick the free market economic Darwinism for some sense bad things will happen and fooled people will keep voting the culprits back in the name of exploitative capitalism. Before moving to Kansas in 1981 I lived in southwest and northwest Louisiana. I saw the effects of exploitative capitalism as a child as the environment was destroyed around me in places like Sulphur, Louisiana, and the banks of the Mississippi north and south of Baton Rouge as we left the Atchafalaya Basin with all of the chemical smokestacks. I guess this oil patch area stretches from here to the Oklahoma border on either side of US 59/US 169 because we see the wells along the road especially between Welda and Colony, Kansas. People need to wake up. The gop is counting on cluelessness and deception to get re elected. I've seen this living in Kansas over 30 years.

Richard Heckler 2 months, 1 week ago

Meanwhile the surface land owners are out $65,000. Just serving notice is not enough. Knowing that all concerned received notice and had no quarrel must be written into regulations/laws. Until the matter is resolved no new drilling should be allowed.

Perhaps Lance Town would want to buy out the concerned landowners?

Beator 2 months, 1 week ago

So you have lemons....make lemonade!!!

Matthew Herbert 2 months, 1 week ago

Why would you ever buy land that someone else held power to alter? Reads to me like they bought into a bad situation that turned out to be a bad situation.

Greg Cooper 2 months, 1 week ago

Let's not forget nor ignore that the oil companies did not set up "squatter rights" on these patches. They were bought and are paid for through royalties paid to the property owners. Probably not alot of language in the oil lease that pertains to the comfort or

It's a little late to argue the relative merits of an oil rig in your back yard when you sold to someone the right to put it there.

"It's too late to close the barn door after the hiorses are out."

Keith Richards 2 months, 1 week ago

I understand why people are upset but if I purchased the mineral rights and was denied my right to exact the gas/oil, I would be upset about that too. These people knew this could happen when they bought the land and decided it was not an issue.
What kind of safety reg exists for these rigs? If they are putting one next to a home, it seems a bit dangerous if you have children around.

Robert Rauktis 2 months, 1 week ago

The problem with mineral rights extraction is it is condoned by most people by using the end product, as long as the production process is far away from you. It's analogous to industrial pig production in confined feed lots. NIMBYism at its finest.

Ron Holzwarth 2 months, 1 week ago

This is a property rights issue. Mineral rights, like water rights, are private property in Kansas. Other states are different.

There will likely be lawsuits, and the winners will be the lawyers. This reminds me of something that one of my grandmothers told me when I was rather young, and it concerned a bitterly contested court case where each of the lawyers were vehemently arguing their client's case in front of the judge and jury.

Once outside the courtroom, one of the lawyers remarked to the other: "We've got us a pair of mighty fat geese to cook!"

Commenting has been disabled for this item.