Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Kansas House committee approves gay marriage response

Comments

Chuck Anziulewicz 2 months ago

All the bakeries and photographers and caterers that people think are being so horribly put-upon? They aren’t in the business of providing spiritual guidance or enforcing moral doctrines. They are there to turn a profit. As such, they are obligated to abide by prevailing civil rights laws, whether those laws protect people from discrimination based on race, religion, or sexual orientation.

Should a restaurant owner be able to refuse service to Blacks because he has “moral objections” to race-mixing? Should an employer be able to fire a Muslim employee because he wants to run “a nice Christian workplace”?

If they answer to both question is NO, what justification is there for discriminating against someone who is Gay who wants nothing more than a cake?

Christopher Kaberline 2 months, 1 week ago

So is this just for gay weddings or gays in general? If its the latter, I know ALOT of Politicians that just became gay in my book that I will not be catering too.

Steve King 2 months, 1 week ago

Too bad it's really a one way street. I don't imagine are very many LGBT businesses that would turn anyone away. They are too kind. Mostly a Zealots bill.

But I agree, I won't and don't work for bigots. My choice. The other 65% keep me plenty busy.

Thomas Bryce 2 months, 1 week ago

I suppose this law works both ways, then. A Gay Business owner can refuse services to a Straight Legislator, male or Female. I thought there was a Clause for Businesses that allow them to refuse service to anyone at any time already . If that is the case, then why is this Law necessary?

Steve King 2 months, 1 week ago

So like at a Movie Theater the Management can reserve the right to refuse service to anyone? I can understand that. I don't understand the State getting involved though. Waste of money. Let the private sector deal with it.

If people want to run a business into the ground that's their option. I mean if a business told me they wouldn't take my picture I'm sure I wouldn't want to work with them anyway. I'd find a different photographer. Phonebook is full of them. Won't fill my prescription? I'll go somewhere that will. And I'll take all my like-kind purchases with me. And I'll tell everyone I know "a bigot lives here" and my friends and their friends will also boycott that business. Guaranteed.

So if you don't want my patronage just tell me. And I'll just tell you to Kiss Off you know.

Ray Parker 2 months, 1 week ago

Christians are forbidden from endorsing, condoning, or tolerating sodomy in their midst.

Rick Johnson 2 months, 1 week ago

This is what happens when you live in the Bible Belt!

Thank god they don't believe in Santa Claus too!

Paul R Getto 2 months, 1 week ago

The Insane Klown Posse needs to get back in their funny car and drive away. More work for attorneys to defend yet another unconstitutional law, but little else will be accomplished.

Randall Uhrich 2 months, 1 week ago

Way to go guys. Create a law that is sure to be declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, so Kansas can waste millions fighting the ruling in court. Nationwide, 65% approve equal rights for couples, but Kansas solons want to go against popular attitudes.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

The First Amendment of the Bill of Rights says that Congress shall make no law respecting the practice of religion. Yet, many of our laws directly reflect the ccorrosive effects of religious practice thatgive the ignorant and crass among us aid and cover.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

Kansas will be the last bastion of prejudice and bigotry against gay people. THe hide bound efforts of Kansas politicians to defend their indefensivle stance against these people to obtain political posture will eventually fade and die as reasonable people replace the bigots and idiots that the electorate of Kansas has sent to represent their own prejudice and bogotry and hide in religious flubduberry and fantisy.

Scut Farkus 2 months, 1 week ago

So if I am against inter-racial marriages I can refuse Afro-Americans, Asians, Indians, Latino's etc. etc?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.