Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Guth will not return to KU classroom this year

Comments

Norma Jeane Baker 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Time will tell whether or not it was the right decision.

Brock Masters 5 months, 3 weeks ago

There is a very simple test to determine if Guth's remarks crossed the line. Simple substitute another group or person for "NRA" in his tweet and honestly assess whether you would support his right to tweet what he did.

I can think of several groups and people if substituted for the NRA that would spark outrage among those defending Guth today.

People have the right to speak, but sometimes it is best to remain silent or to choose your words carefully because there are consequences for speaking your mind.

Brock Masters 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Where is the outrage towards Obama for firing a White House staffer for his personal tweets? Oh that is right, there is none because you like Obama.

Keith Richards 5 months, 3 weeks ago

"Next time, let it be YOUR sons and daughters. Shame on you. May God damn you.” "The fact that my words were misconstrued is my fault"

I'm not sure how one can "misconstrue" anything in the above statement. Guth blatantly states that he wants NRA kids members to be murdered next time and then wishes God to damn their souls to hell. Not much else can be extrapolated from the statement. The issue I have with Guth and his backers is that this man refuses to come out and state that he made a mistake and wrote something stupid after losing control of his emotions. Instead Guth makes statements like this:

"Some interpreted my tweet differently than it was intended: I don’t want anyone’s children hurt. The fact that my words were misconstrued is my fault"

Stating others incorrectly interpreted and misconstrued his words is not an apology for his childish tweet, it's blaming others for his childish tweet. I would like Guth to act like a man and flat out state that he is sorry and he made a mistake and nothing more.

Matthew Herbert 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Sounds like he gets to keep his $82k paycheck AND simultaneously not have to work very hard. Sounds awesome. Sign me up.

Bernard McCoy 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I detect some hypocrisy in calls by Senators Terry Bruce and Susan Wagle for Guth's firing. Guth apologized. He admitted his comments caused "a great deal of pain for many people." I don't recall Bruce or Wagle demanding Kansas State Representative Virgil Peck's firing two years ago after his comments over a plan to use gunmen in helicopters to control the state's feral swine population. Rep. Peck said "If shooting these immigrating feral hogs works, maybe we have found a (solution) to our illegal immigration problem."

Ray Parker 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Get this nasty, repulsive leftist off the faculty and off the payroll. Kansas taxpayers have better things to do with their $90,000.

Brian Mellor 5 months, 3 weeks ago

This is one of those fabulous stories where just about everybody is wrong.

Jean Robart 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Too bad. I support Dr Guth, and wonder why people seem to have knee-jerk reactions whenever somebody makes a statement they disagree with?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.