Discussions

Reader comments

On Opinion: GOP leaders deserve more credit

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

Who wins under the default umbrella? Certainly not the lions share of citizens … as always.

If House Republicans don't agree to raise the nation's debt ceiling the nation's borrowing costs would spike, as would interest rates for average Americans, and the stock market would plummet. But not everyone will lose if a default causes an economic catastrophe.

Those who could profit from a financial calamity are short sellers, investors in gold and silver, bitcoin investors, currency traders,Pawn shops, bankruptcy lawyers, mortgage servicers and the canned and freeze-dried food industries. http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/10/who-would-benefit-government-default

Considering all of the above plus all that’s been lost as a result of stupid political games why are republicans are STILL refusing to increase the debt ceiling as they should.

The GOP are saying they are willing to approve a short term increase which is long enough to get them through the upcoming election cycle.

Will more shenanigans allow the very smart and very rich who invest in USA bonds and such to rest easy? Likely not from what I read. Can we say what’s with our reckless politicians?

As if the Reagan/Bush home loan scandal were not enough there were millions more jobs lost as a result of the world wide calamity aka Bush/Cheney home loan fiasco. This GOP party is all about economic chaos NOT economic growth and new industry.

This GOP can put people out of work at the speed of light but is incapable of putting these unfortunate workers back to work. Putting millions of workers back to work is the key to reviving this economy

Richard Heckler 1 year, 6 months ago

The debt-ceiling crisis threatens not just the president's constitutional duty to make payments on the public debt but also the accompanying requirement that he spend money lawfully appropriated by Congress, either as part of a yearly budget or as part of statutes authorizing “entitlement” payments like Medicare or veterans' benefits.

Failing to do any of these things would be a default on the president's duty to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed.”

The president may not be able to obey all three sources of law; if so, Obama should make the payments and ignore the debt ceiling.

“The debt ceiling is the fiscal equivalent of the human appendix — a law with no discoverable purpose,” he writes. “If Congress leaves the debt ceiling at a level inconsistent with duly enacted spending and tax laws, the president has no choice but to ignore it.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/10/if-congress-wont-raise-the-debt-ceiling-obama-will-be-forced-to-break-the-law/280176/

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 6 months ago

OK, who's going to come clean my monitor of the coffee I just spewed all over it?
No Republicans hate Boehner? Explain, then, Mr. Will, why approval polls have dropped to their lowest level since 1935. To quote Chris Matthews to Ted Cruz, yesterday, "What planet are you living on?"
What is it about the Right and reality that has such a disconnect? The fantasy world they live in is better than anything that J.R.R.Tolkien ever came up with. The Tea Party has become the Mad Hatters Tea Party.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 6 months ago

“I guess that we could get lower in the polls. We’re down to blood relatives and paid staffers now,” - Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.)

Richard Payton 1 year, 6 months ago

Can anyone name a current Democrat that favors Republican issues? John McCain is one of a few Republicans that favor Democrats over Republican ideas. Hope Arizona begins to see this man for the party he represents.

JayhawkFan1985 1 year, 6 months ago

Current Blue Dog Democrats in congress

John Barrow (GA-12), Co-Chair for Administration Sanford Bishop (GA-2) Jim Cooper (TN-5), Co-Chair for Policy Jim Costa (CA-20) Henry Cuellar (TX-28) Pete Gallego (TX-23) Dan Lipinski (IL-3)[31] Jim Matheson (UT-4) Mike McIntyre (NC-7) Mike Michaud (ME-2) Collin Peterson (MN-7) Loretta Sanchez (CA-47) Kurt Schrader (OR-5), Co-Chair for Communications David Scott (GA-13) Mike Thompson (CA-5)

The blue dogs were more numerous in the US house prior to 2010 and 2012 elections. Richard, do you even understand congressional politics? You are asking a really foolish question. It's the replicants that tend to vote in lockstep.

Autocorrect error. I was trying to type Republicans, not replicants. Though replicants seems oddly appropriate.

George Lippencott 1 year, 6 months ago

Here is the problem. The Republicans want to address it. So far the Democrats don't seem to want to talk about i other than suggesting unspecified tax increases.

http://www2.ljworld.com/users/photos/2013/oct/15/263121/

Interesting that your link goes to "page not found" much like GOP reasonableness

Commenting has been disabled for this item.