Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: Brush too broad

Comments

jafs 7 months ago

There's a serious difference between "disagreeing" with the gay lifestyle (I'm not agreeing that it's a lifestyle, of course), and saying that gay people are going to hell.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to agree or disagree with somebody else's "lifestyle" anyway. If I don't like certain choices, I won't make them. I don't have to have an opinion of agreement or disagreement about it.

For example, I don't drink much at all - that's my choice and it works well for me. I would never say that I "disagree" with somebody's lifestyle if they have a beer every night. I might have a variety of opinions about it, but agreement isn't one of them.

We don't have to agree or disagree about everybody else's choices.

Seems to me that using those terms is just a way of soft-pedaling judgement and criticism. Now it's fine with me if people want to judge and criticize other people - we all do that to some extent. But, be honest about it.

I went back and re-read Burkhead's letter - he calls homosexuality a sin like lying, adultery, etc. That's not just a disagreement. And, by comparing things that we have choices about (lying, adultery) to something that we don't (our sexuality), he is making a logical error. It's like saying that people with blonde hair are sinful.

For those who continue to believe that sexuality is a choice, I'd love to hear about when straight folks "chose" to be straight.

Armstrong 7 months ago

"There is a growing element in this country that claims “hate” whenever it hears something it doesn’t like. This is becoming a very serious problem,"

Actually that response is so automatic and predictable it has become as worn out as mullets and acid washed jeans from the 80's.

Ken Lassman 7 months ago

If Craig's brush is too broad, then Carl's brush is more like a push broom. I re-read Mr. Voorhee's letter and he said nothing about Carl being "hateful," rather he accurately described Burkhead as being anti-gay, which is accurate. Furthermore, Carl condemns anyone who believes that gays can have a healthy, happy life as being eternally punished in the afterlife. Craig questions the personal psychology of those like Mr. Burkhead who hold such judgements, something he bases on his own experience. As such, Mr. Voorhees' observation is a personal one and shows nothing resembling being part of some kind of "growing element" that we need to be worried about.

It seems to me that Ms Butler is the one who is seeing "hate" where it does not exist, not Mr. Voorhees and perhaps she has the broadest brush of all as a result.

Keith 7 months ago

There is a shrinking element in this country that claims to know how the rest of us should live and love. It was a serious problem, but becomes less so with each passing year.

James Kirk 7 months ago

First in before it starts to hit the fan.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.