Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Opinion: Girls’ deaths moved struggle forward

Comments

Paul Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

As a black man I am sickened by race baiters like Pitts. Black as I do not want to associate myself with the African tribes that sold their prisoners of war to white men who enslaved them. The ultimate black on black crime that racists like Pitts will never mention. They only serve to stir the pot of racism by attempting to make white people guilty for what some white fool did 50 years ago and to make black people resent white people by somehow relating a few situations today with atrocities of the past. We are not entitled to anything simply because of our race. Guys like Pitts are nothing more than racists. Not unlike a white guy yelling at his weekly meeting 50 years ago. Pitts writes his brand of racism every week. The only difference is their costumes.

tomatogrower 1 year, 3 months ago

So what did the Africans who sold people into slavery have to do with American blacks having to use separate bathrooms, not being allowed to vote, not being allowed to sit at a lunch counter, having separate and very unequal schools, and murdering little girls in churches. You are not Black, and your writing shows that.

Kathy Getto 1 year, 3 months ago

I totally agree, cynic. I also believe those who keep their head buried in the sand and refuse to shine a light on the continuing racism in our country to be less than honest.

Paul Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

I've just heard it all my life. Militant family and friends blaming their failures on something a white person did. At some point we need to focus on the present and take responsibility for ourselves. Stop stirring the pot with constant inflammatory 'race baiting/blaming language. Stop blaming white people for something their ancestors may or may not have done. The more you blame white people...the more they will pull away from conversation. I think they just need to die off (old racists both black and white) and let us get on with life without their racist blather to bring us down.

But, ribs, what is racist about remembering these precious little girls whose lives were cut short?

tomatogrower 1 year, 3 months ago

White people killed those little girls. There fixed it for you. White people prevented Blacks from doing business and going to school. Whites created the single parent family culture by not allowing slaves to marry and selling off family members, so that's what they were use to. Whites told, and still do tell Blacks that they are stupid and inferior and criminal, and unfortunately several try to live down to those expectations. You obviously are not Black, because you would have been refused a taxi, you would have been followed around in a store, you possibly would have been pulled over by a cop for no apparent reason.

James Minor 1 year, 3 months ago

Pitt's article devotes time for remembrance on those that sacrificed their lives, directly or indirectly. The four girls who lost their lives should remind all people that the struggle is not over, regardless of the color of ones skin who chooses to inflict hate or harm. There is Black on Black crime, White on White crime, Hispanic on Hispanic crime. Why is remembering the tragedy of the four girls wrong and why can't this be a message to all races?

It's hard to have honest conversations about racism when folks aren't compelled to accept the truth.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.