Reader comments

On Opinion: U.S. universities facing new enrollment challenges

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years ago

I did not go to college. I pursued a career that required 5 weeks of training (at the time, that has doubled now), the rest was on the job training. I was able to do what I always wanted to do, and help people at the same time. I worked at it for 30 years, and I have no regrets. There are many other technical jobs that one can pursue, have a great career doing what they want to do, and make a good living. A college degree, and it's huge tuition costs, are not required as much as in the past. One can get a college degree in the same career path I chose, but it is not always required. People are waking up to these choices, which may be why college enrollment may be decreasing. I urge young people to look at all the choices, and their costs, before committing themselves to huge tuition costs, and debt.

Bob_Keeshan 2 years ago

"Or are the majority of incoming students trying to skirt such subjects, opting for softer, easier courses that may increase their chances of a higher grade-point average?"

Only the Journalism majors can get away with that.

yourworstnightmare 2 years ago

Again, Mr. Simons correctly identifies a problem but fails to realize its true cause: the policies of right wing GOP politicians whom Mr. Simons supports.

Mr Simons, the hammer hitting you on the head is being held in your own hand.

Carol Bowen 2 years ago

Too soon old. Too late smart. If we are looking for students interested in math and science, that needs to start in high school at the very latest.

ENVIROPEACE 2 years ago

So, Governor Brownback does a tour of the Kansas Board of Regents universities, telling each one of them that he absolutely won't raise their taxes... Shortly after he raises their taxes, consequently the universities raise their tuition. Coincidence, I think not...

Commenting has been disabled for this item.