Discussions

Reader comments

On Opinion: The correct decision on Syria?

Comments

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

Lets' consider what happens when the world does nothing. Iraq and Iran were fighting a long drawn out war. It looked to be a stalemate, somewhat similar to today's Syrian conflict. Iraq chose to use chemical weapons to hold it's line. It worked and the world did nothing. Emboldened by the world's lack of response, Saddam chose to use chemical weapons against his own people, the Kurds, killing tens of thousands. Again no response until a future President could put up with the regional mischief and felt compelled to act.

Let's look at another example, the appeasement policies of Chamberlain in his dealings with Hitler. He chose to do nothing in the face of an evil leader bent on regional mischief. That lack of decisive action emboldened Hitler to continue his mischief until countries felt they could sit on the side no longer. Eventually, we too became involved, despite substantial sentiment at home that Europe was a mess and that we should simply allow them to sort it out.

What should we do with Syria? It's a difficult question. There are no easy answers. But I will say this, that for every example given where our actions have made things worse, I can give another example where inaction made things worse. Frankly, I don't know the right thing to do and neither does anyone in this forum. President Obama has far more information available to him along with experts in the field. Congress also has access to this information. I hope they make the best decision, though I suspect whatever they choose, it will have some elements of adding additional problems to the situation. And that includes if they choose to not act. I wish them all well.

Abdu Omar 1 year, 10 months ago

Once again Obama leads from behind. All he had to do was issue an executive order that we strike and we strike. He put it to the Congress because he wants a fall guy or many, if this fails. This is not leadership, it is cowardice.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.