Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Youth Employment Program opens doors for youth with disabilities to land jobs

Comments

mendicant 1 year ago

sorry that you feel insulted by this.

hedshrinker 1 year ago

"Help" must be a collaborative practice: desired by the individual, informed by their goals and proceeding at their pace. This is an inspiring program...I'm assuming the staff didn't go out on the street, identify prospective clients and foist help on them whether or not they want it. Renita Wilks is a jewel and provides knowledgeable, caring, compassionate services and she knows of what she speaks as she has her own struggles. I'll say to@ reaviewmirror the same thing I say in other circumstances: "don't want a ......, then don't have one, but don't prevent others who DO want a .......from the opportunity."

Scott Morgan 1 year ago

Many many moons ago I was involved in placing IEP students in jobs. Really a long time ago. A large paper manufacturing company I will not mention, but rhymes with Himberly Hark, allowed me to put a student in the plant on a test basis. He was paid by funds not unlike the YEP program here.

With fingers crossed my hope was he would gain some employment skills, and improve his marketability. Received a call from the paper mill about the student a few days later. My heart raced, and sadly thinking I needed to pick him up due to some problem.

No.

The plant foreman gushed with all sorts of compliments, including the then senior volunteered to work what was called the wetroom. Taking bark off trees with high powered water hose. Loud, dirty, and exhausting work. The youth worked his tail off, volunteered for more hours, and even back then showed up on time, everyday a skill modern youth should practice.

The foreman asked me if they could do away with the program and hire him part time. This changed after graduation with him becoming a union paper worker. Lost track of him a few years ago, but was on schedule to retire from this high paying job.

Life changing.

Go YEP program and folks like Bruce! Like the paper-mill plant foreman, it's people like Bruce who make these programs work.

JM Andy 1 year ago

Great program! People with disabilities have double the unemployment rate as non-disabled folks. If people want to grouse about "moochers" receiving benefits from social programs, then they should work very hard to make sure there are employment opportunities available to people with disabilities. MOST people WANT to work.

Armstrong 1 year ago

I have dealt with many "disabled individuals" in the past. Experience has shown you will have a hard time finding someone else with a stronger work ethic and dedication to doing a job to the best of their ability then the people I have had the privilege of being associated with. Great article. Thank you.

hedshrinker 1 year ago

@ armstrong,thank you for yr straightforward (ie non-politically slanted) positive comment on this topic...I don't think I have ever agreed w u before about anything, and I'm glad it's on this subject matter, showing that when people of different political and faith paths have a task in front of them which involves getting together to help other people, our common humanity shines through.

Chris Ogle 1 year ago

Sounds like a great program. If a person wants to work...... then why not. Some of the best employees are people that want to work, and yes most people with disabilities really do want to work.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.