Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On 100 years ago: New propellor invented by Lawrence brothers, tested by 'aeroplanists'

Comments

Sarah St. John 1 year, 3 months ago

Letter from "aeroplanist" Robert Fowler after he tested the new propellor:

"Mr. Harry Elliott,

Lawrence, Kansas.

"Dear Sir: --

"Ever since last Tuesday, when your changeable-pitch propeller was put on the motor of my bi-plane for a test run, I have intended writing to you in regard to the excellent showing it made.

"We first coupled the bi-plane to the scale with the regular propeller which I used in my recent flight across the Isthmus of Panama, it showed a pull of only 360 pounds at full motor speed, then we took it off and substituted your blade and central lever with the scale connected in the same manner and it showed 80 pounds more per pull, a gain of nearly 25 per cent.

"Was indeed sorry that there was such a high wind prevailing at the time as I would have liked to have made a trial flight just to try the reverse feature upon landing as to my mind that will be the great step toward absolute control of the planes under all conditions.

"Your propeller has so many advantages over the existing types that you should be able to market all that you can turn out and I want to secure one as soon as possible, would like to see you in regard to it then ext time you come to the city.

"Wishing you success that I am certain you will soon have, I am,

Yours very truly,

R. G. FOWLER."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.