Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Brownback's office redacts names of Court of Appeals candidates from his schedule

Comments

tomatogrower 1 year, 4 months ago

He really doesn't want anyone to know that there were more qualified applicants. How is his government more transparent? Come on supporters of Brownback. How do you defend this?

Kansass 1 year, 4 months ago

In a way, it's very transparent.

We can all see what a sneaky slime he is.

booklover2 1 year, 4 months ago

Either that schedule has been wiped clean or he really doesn't do anything. Probably both!

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 4 months ago

Great! So, Now it takes Litigation just to find out what our elected officials are doing on a daily basis? This is absurd. Does anyone still have questions about whether this whole process has been "On the Up and Up"? Keep digging Governor. The Hole is getting deeper by the day. Of course, the hole gets bigger quicker when you have SO much help.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 4 months ago

He is going to be reelected. This is real chickens***. the public should know who the other applicants were.

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

If everybody has that kind of defeatist attitude, he will be.

I am sick of hearing that kind of attitude.

I am also old, but I will not give up. Get off your duff and fight back.

fearthephog512 1 year, 4 months ago

Ironic he constantly criticizes the Feds for everything they do — and then he applies their system of appointing a judge! Oink oink

irvan moore 1 year, 4 months ago

he doesn't care what we think and why should he, the good people of Kansas will re-elect him based on his good Christian values while he ruins education, working peoples rights, and the government programs that help truly needy people

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

Same to you as my post above. What is wrong with you people?

Quit wallowing in your misery and get to work.

Lefty54 1 year, 4 months ago

The last thing Brownback and Kobach want is transparency. The less the voters know the better. The more people they can keep from voting the better.

It is all very shameful that Kansas puts up with these wannabe dictators.

optimist 1 year, 4 months ago

"...individually identifiable records pertaining to employees or applicants for employment, except that this exemption shall not apply to the names, positions, salaries or actual compensation employment contracts or employment-related contracts or agreements and lengths of service of officers and employees of public agencies once they are employed as such." Everyone here so far act as though he has a choice here. He is following the letter and the intent of the Open Records act to the letter. The law is very clearly stated. These records are not public, including the names of applicants, until such time as one is employed by the State. This isn't about transparency or politics. He is not President Obama who ignores laws he doesn't like or tries to create laws he hasn't the authority to create. The candidates that applied or were nominated for this position have the right to their privacy. How would you like your current boss to know that you are looking for a new job? Anyone trying to make this a political issue in the face of facts are hacks and can't be taken seriously, ever.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

Of course it's about transparency.

Releasing names of applicants is transparent, while withholding them is not.

These jobs are public jobs, and I think the public has a right to know who's applying for them - for one thing, it will let us decide if we think he nominated the best candidate or not.

People applying for public jobs should know that, and be ok with having their names made public.

The public has no right to know who is applying for public jobs. Until they become a candidate they are still private citizens. The veil of privacy extends to them until such time as they accept a job or an appointment. That is the case with any State job, applicants names are not a matter of public record. As for who decides who the best candidates is, that is up to the guy that ran for and won the election for Governor. The decision as to the best candidate is a matter of discretion and you clearly would choose anyone but who the Governor chose so what can you really offer to this situation. It will be up to the duly elected legislature to consent to the appointment or not. That’s the way our system works.

See Sycophant's response about privacy.

And DougCounty's about promises of more transparency.

Your desire to leave this choice completely up to the governor, with no knowledge and/or input by the public, isn't shared by very many people. In our system, it's not enough to elect politicians, we also have to keep an eye on what they do once elected.

In this case, our governor's actions are directly opposed to his promises and stated goals.

billbodiggens 1 year, 4 months ago

this is not a matter of applying for a mere public job - this is a situation of applying to become an elected official of the state.

Not really. Judges are appointed and confirmed, not elected.

Liberty275 1 year, 4 months ago

Where can I find a list of people that applied for jobs as teachers in Kansas?

nick_s 1 year, 4 months ago

A judge will be hearing arguments, & making/influencing policy that will affect the whole state. You know just as I that the comparison is not even the same. Of course every person that applies for a government job should not be listed in a public forum, that is just silly.

Liberty275 1 year, 3 months ago

"Of course every person that applies for a government job should not be listed in a public forum, that is just silly."

Actually it is nobody's business who applies for what job. Judge and teacher are both government employees and should be subject the the same law regarding their privacy, which means that as private citizens, their privacy should be protected. If applicants for judge don't deserve privacy, then neither do applicants for teacher positions. Neither do applicants for police officer, fireman, dog catcher and custodial engineer.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 4 months ago

Um, Mr. Brownback himself said publicly that he wanted a process that was more transparent than the current system as the driving force behind the changes he implemented. He's the one who politicized the process and then covered it up so that nobody could see the machinations, under the guise of "protecting potential candidates from exposing themselves." Had he laid out the process ahead of time saying that the process would all be behind closed doors, his "transparency" argument would be, well transparently hypocritical. So don't criticize the chorus of citizens who are offended by such hypocrisy.

Thanks to Scott for getting the facts about the law into this article. It would have been a more accurate headline if it read; Brownback’s office redacts names of Court of Appeals candidates pursuant to law.

The law doesn't require him to redact the names, it simply allows him to do so.

He could have released the names at any time, and he still can, as far as I understand it. We just can't force him to do it based on that exemption in the Open Records Act.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 4 months ago

I hope that Law falls over on him while he is hiding behind it. Thanks for the Clarification, jafs. Brownback CHOSE not to release the names is what the Headline should read.

The reason the names are exempted is because of privacy laws pertaining to those applicants. In order to get around that the candidates would have to agree to have their names released. Until they become appointees they are entitled to that privacy and you and I don't have a right to know that they applied. If one of them felt they were more qualified and wished to dispute the appointment they have all the right in the world to come forward publicly on their own. There is nothing stopping that. You just want to embarrass those candidates in order to hurt the Governor.

Bob Forer 1 year, 4 months ago

There are no privacy laws that would prohibit the release. You are not a lawyer. I am. you shouldn't be spouting authoritatively about a subject you obviously know nothing about. It makes you look foolish.

Your'e a lawyer? Then why are you complaining in a web forum and not filing a lawsuit to compel the Governor to follow the law? You should go after him like he's an ambulance.

To add to other points, these people are applying for public positions, being paid with tax money by us. We have a right to know. If these people are applying for these positions, they most likely already lead very public lives as high profile attorneys or judges themselves. In the natural progression of ones career, these individuals, & Im speculating, are most likely at the height of their current career path & would be expected to apply for this esteemed position to make it to the next level.

I don't want to embarrass or hurt anybody.

But, I would like to shed light on the decisions that are being made at the state level. And, if it turns out that there were many other more qualified applicants, and this one was chosen for certain political reasons, then I'd like for us all to know that.

Also, given the stated desire to make the process more transparent, I'd like to see that happen in reality rather than the reverse.

I'd like to see a list of people that applied for jobs with the HRS.

A judge will be hearing arguments, & making/influencing policy that will affect the whole state. You know just as I that the comparison is not even the same. Of course every person that applies for a government job should not be listed in a public forum, that is just silly.

Public servants just the same. Well, after they are hired. They are private citizens until they accept the job and I see no reason you or anyone should be allowed access to any information regarding jobs that private citizens apply for. Their existence is none of our business until we hire them and they accept the job.

jafs 1 year, 3 months ago

The reason is clear - if we don't know who the applicants are, we can't evaluate the governor's choice of nominees, and thus determine whether or not he picked the best applicant for the job.

So, we're left in the dark, and have to trust him - do you?

Also, of course, he sold this new plan as a way to make the process more transparent, and not releasing the names (which was common practice with the old system) is obviously a step in the other direction.

Seems to me if we wanted the best of both worlds, we could have kept the old process for getting possibilities to the governor, and added confirmation by the Senate.

hillsandtrees 1 year, 4 months ago

It appears that Caleb Stegall was present at all the interviews?

question4u 1 year, 4 months ago

Don't hold your breath expecting transparency in Kansas. Transparency is not a trait of third-world governments. It leads to inconvenient things like justice.

oldexbeat 1 year, 4 months ago

Liar Sammy doesn't want you to know that other then talking to Phillll Kilne, a couple Koch Brothers and Rick Perry, he didn't interview anyone. At all.

His appointment got turned down twice -- Sammy changes the rules -- gets the guy that defended Phillll Kline. Oh Boy.

Tracy Rogers 1 year, 4 months ago

This guy is the worst governor our state has seen in a long long time. And to think he was promising more transparency while he was campaigning, and he has done the complete opposite since taking office. Where are all the people who voted for him? How can you possibly defend this weasel?

smileydog 1 year, 4 months ago

At least he's more transparent than the Obama Administration. Why isn't the League on Obama's butt?

Ken Lassman 1 year, 4 months ago

"pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

We are in Kansas, after all, and have our own Wizard pulling the levers, having coming into our lives in a balloon full of hot air. I just hope we're about to the "I can't come back! I don't know how to control this thing!" stage of the hot air balloon, if you know what I mean.

Here's why:

President Obama and his successors in the Oval Office are not obligated to make public the names of individuals visiting the White House, according to a decision of the federal Circuit Court for the District of Columbia made public Friday.

The case was brought by Judicial Watch, the government watchdog nonprofit that has been fighting a long legal battle seeking to force release of the White House visitor logs as public records under the Freedom of Information Act.

But in a decision that is drawing intense criticism from across the ideological spectrum, the circuit court said the president has a "constitutional perogative" not to tell the American people who he or his staff meets with in the White House.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/appeals-court-says-white-house-visitor-logs-can-be-kept-from-public/article/2534954

Wayne Propst 1 year, 4 months ago

All the other candidates are graduates of Devenshire University.................

Ronnie24 1 year, 4 months ago

What a jerk Brownback is! I did not vote for him, and I will NOT in the next election. The ONLY way things will change is for EVERYONE votes. I know Brownback CAN be defeated! Remember all this crap and the crap that will be coming, election time and make your vote count!!!

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 4 months ago

Brownback is being needlessly secretive. I think his actions imply nefarious deeds when in actuality none likely exist. So he only interviewed his ideological comrades and/or picked a less-qualified candidate? So what? Take the heat.

It is troublesome that Brownback's first inclination is secrecy. This is a pattern he has established and is continuing with this redaction.

That's not been his way - he doesn't take the heat. He hires folks from other states to come in and change things, and then they leave.

He somehow tries to blame the legislature for cuts in education, when he signed those budgets.

Somehow, he doesn't want people to know what he's actually doing - I agree it's troubling. The more troubling thing perhaps is that people will continue to vote for him.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.