Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Editorial: Parking progress

Comments

Steven Gaudreau 8 months, 3 weeks ago

The meters with c.c. payment also have a coin slot.

George Lippencott 8 months, 3 weeks ago

What happens to those who do not have a cell phone??

Lawrence Morgan 8 months, 3 weeks ago

In San Francisco, for example, many meters are paid for only by cell phone and credit card. They operate 18 to 24 hours a day, and change prices constantly during the day and night. This is no solution at all for Downtown Parking in Lawrence, unless the businesses all want their profits diminished to nothing. It is very difficult to keep track of cellphone numbers, credit cards, and the different amounts of payment throughout the day and night. Tourists and residents get fed up. San Francisco not built adequate parking garages in any part of the city, either.

This is NOT for Lawrence - and it shouldn't be for San Francisco, either.

If it comes to payment by credit card and cellphone, much of the population won't be able to afford it. In that case, SHOP ELSEWHERE!

People will learn their lesson downtown - but for many, it will be too late for their businesses

Lynn731 8 months, 3 weeks ago

It's way past time to do away with parking meters everywhere in the nation. These meters are why most downtown areas struggle, and small stores quit doing business. Most shoppers migrate to other business districts with no parking meters. Though downtown Lawrence is still making it, many downtown areas in the nation are not. I am disabled, I do not have to pay at parking meters. That doesn't keep me from hating them, remembering all the years I had to pay to park. On behalf of all the citizens who still have to pay to park, do away with these meters and watch the retail in the metered areas explode with more business.

JohnSickels 8 months, 3 weeks ago

What if you don't have a smart phone? I don't have one. What if you don't have a credit card? Not everyone does.

cowboy 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Why bother , the cost of policing parking violators does not even justify the action. In most years the cost exceeds the revenue not to mention the costs of administering these in municipal court. a superstitious dance that the city performs .

Free parking on any public owned property. Honestly what sense does it make to be charged for using something you already own ?

Benjamin Roberts 8 months, 3 weeks ago

If the city were to implement this as KU is doing (http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/heard_hill/2013/jul/17/new-service-allows-people-to-feed-ku-par/), patrons will be able to extend meter time and avoid parking tickets.

Would more paid meter time - and (theoretically) less parking tickets - increase or decrease actual revenue?

oneeye_wilbur 8 months, 3 weeks ago

It is time to implementALL parking downtown to be paid 24/7. Get consistent with parking and fees.

The lots are public assets and the commission needs to treat them as such. They are dirty, shrubbery overgrown, dumpster areas absolutely filthy. And to think, two commissioners are business operators downtown. The value of the land returns little value.

Why give away parking at night? Why pay someone to walk around with a piece of chalk? Does the commission realize how labor intensive that is ? It wouldbe more productive for the chalk person to write a ticket.

And why is someone cleaning downtown but not much gets swept? Are they actually paid? This commission and city manager on a scale of 10, Rank 5!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.