Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On City approves 2014 budget

Comments

jafs 9 months ago

Well, I doubt that increasing the costs of living in Lawrence will attract more people.

And, of course, I question whether or not that's desirable. There are studies showing that areas that increase population more quickly actually perform worse economically in a variety of ways than slower growing areas.

oneeye_wilbur 9 months ago

They do not care. They are on a mission to make it look like Lawrence I s successful.

Why would acorliss care about increased costs to local residents. He makes over 12,000 a month!

LeBo 9 months ago

I am certain the city commissioners and city manager are not paying attention to the economic environment on the state, federal, and international levels. We are on pace to become bankrupt in the long-term.

cheeseburger 9 months ago

$40,000 beacons or $270,000 traffic signals are not necessary at every intersection in town.

That's what happens when you have an attorney for a city manager.

Time for a change.

cheeseburger 9 months ago

Brick crosswalks are not a necessity.

appleaday 9 months ago

Actually, it looks like sewers and streets and western expansion

patkindle 9 months ago

hey folks, get out the check books, after all it is all about the kids and arts what could be a better to spend your money ?

Currahee 9 months ago

All public works projects. You know when you're relying on public projects to fuel "growth" you're really just delaying the inevitable.

Recycling fee, water increase, city property tax increase, county tax increase, school district, Westar.

Add them up x 12.

The J W does not have reporters to do the math.

Wilbur aka wilbut , soon to be wilbutt believes each commissioner needs the money they are paid, I really do believe that.

Would Mr Dever and the other commissioners please tellme where I get the extra money to pay for their bad ideas?

It is a simple question. Can any of the five answer it?

toe 9 months ago

Increase taxes, more government worker mouths to greed, and costs to live in Lawrence far exceeding inflation. No change from the past 30 years.

optimist 9 months ago

The only growth here is the spending and debt. There will be no economic growth from this budget. Increasing the cost of living in the community will not attract businesses that will bring jobs and revenue from outside the city.

nick_s 9 months ago

Yesterday I was questioning line items for the Rock Chalk Park & was given the link to the city's full budget in pdf version. I do see line items budgeted, however they seem pretty vague. When do we get to see a real plan outlined as to how we are going to use, manage, & market our Rec Center as it has been sold to us? How are we going to get this thing off the ground & make it work. If we are already committed to this, & have already broken ground, one would assume there is a grand plan somewhere right? Right?

skinny 9 months ago

So much for trying to draw in the retiree's!! Plus running off what retirede's we have now. Good job Lawrence!

Maybe the citizens of Lawrenec need to find a new leadership as this one is not working! They seem to think money grows on trees!

ljreader 9 months ago

More growth? Keep it up with the higher taxes/ utility rates, and the only growth is going to be cobwebs.

fearthephog512 9 months ago

Mike Denver looks like a plotting, evil genius in the homepage photo ...

Larry Moss 9 months ago

And we thought the electricity rate increases were bad?

Kyle Chandler 9 months ago

I find it amusing that there are MANY MANY empty rental properties, yet, we need 5 more employees to an EXPANDED rental registration program and yet a single lone employee for an entire citywide curbside recycling program.

GO LAWRENCE!

smitty 9 months ago

....in Chad's report yesterday but not included in today's coverage.

• $1.5 million to possibly purchase a site or begin design work for a new police headquarters facility. Funding will come from property taxes.

did this pass ?

We are each of us responsible for the evil we may have prevented -James Martineau-philosopher and Unitarian Minister

Floyd Craig 9 months ago

those fools r going to tax us to death

Commenting has been disabled for this item.