Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Food bank starts growing its own produce

Comments

StanHernly 1 year, 2 months ago

Start experimenting with hoop houses and low tunnels before deciding a greenhouse is needed.

Naturephile 1 year, 2 months ago

I encourage Just Food's enthusiasm and drive in starting a vegetable garden but to say....... "We also want to show clients that gardening is easy to do.".....shows that Jeremy Farmer does not have experience, or at least is not realistic, when it comes to growing produce.

Gardening has many benefits, it can be very enjoyable and extremely rewarding and it is certainly a way to very economically improve ones diet, but easy it is NOT. The biggest reason why people start and then quickly give up on growing their own produce is because it takes a concerted effort of energy and time to ensure a successful garden.

I also applaud Just Food's drive to be "green" in their endeavor with the green house. I hope this focus on being environmentally friendly is being extended in their effort to grow food. Unfortunately, no mention in the article on how ecologically friendly in regards to chemical inputs into the garden was mentioned in the story.

windjammer 1 year, 2 months ago

Give them a break as they are just getting started and not as well informed as you.

Carol Bowen 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe Just Food should ask K-State county extension for help.

justfoodks 1 year, 2 months ago

Naturephile:

To many of our clients, the thought of growing their own food is intimidating and daunting. We're not suggesting that it's easy to till a huge plot of land and keep it up, but to have a pallet garden or a few plants to have fresh produce may perhaps be easier than they would think. We aren't encouraging people to start huge, but small, and then working from there.

We are not using any chemicals on our garden...it is all natural and organic. I think the article mentioned rainbarrels that we are using to water our garden (we are in need of them being filled up again!).

I'd encourage you to come and see. I know we'd love to show you around.

Sincerely, Jeremy

Kyle Chandler 1 year, 2 months ago

Im not sure what type of 'gardening' naturphile is doing, but i maintain quite a large food garden myself, alone. Having a few extra helpers would make it a breeze.

Just Food should be a model for all KS food banks, Good Work!

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 2 months ago

Awesome game plan. Grow food, not lawns

ridikkulus 1 year, 2 months ago

100% agree. This "Pretty, Green Carpet That We Never Actually Use For Anything" is ridiculous.

That being said, as someone who IS a member of the class of "working poor", (Grab your torch and pitchfork, I know...) as well as a full-time student, (Yes, I know, "all my fault for getting a degree in my twenties that would be decried as "liberal" and "useless" twenty years later... Darn my broken psychic abilities...) I have NO time to dedicate to pulling weeds, fertilizing, trimming, "deadheading", much less time to tear it all down in the fall. Some of the people of my "lazy ilk" even have three or four jobs. NOT feasible. (For those who didn't read the whole article, this is in reference to the idea that poor people should grow their own food. Wonderfully idealistic, but not possible.)

Commenting has been disabled for this item.