Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Food bank starts growing its own produce

Comments

smitty 9 months ago

Hope time has come for this project to succeed. It was attempted in 1992 at the Indian Center .

Here is the archived story: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/1992/jul...

GARDEN PROJECT IS GROWING AT LAWRENCE INDIAN CENTER By Michael Dekker — Lawrence Journal-World July 8, 1992

Volunteers at the Lawrence Indian Center are looking for local green thumbs to get involved with a gardening project that has been growing steadily since it began this spring.

The Indian Center's Care Share Garden program was started in April by Cynthia Butler, a local resident and Volunteer In Service To America (VISTA) volunteer.

Butler has organized dozens of local people to tend weeds and plants at a garden at the Indian center, and help local residents start their own gardens at home

It's a coming together for the community, for a common cause," she said. "Gardening gives people a chance to do something like a family. It teaches about the cycles of life."

Butler, who has helped serve meals at the Salvation Army and the Lawrence Interdenominational Nutrition Kitchen, has encouraged several people served by the agencies during recent weeks to get involved with the Care Share Garden.......

We are each of us responsible for the evil we may have prevented. -James Martineau-philosopher and Unitarian Minister

Matthew Herbert 9 months ago

Awesome game plan. Grow food, not lawns

Kyle Chandler 9 months ago

Im not sure what type of 'gardening' naturphile is doing, but i maintain quite a large food garden myself, alone. Having a few extra helpers would make it a breeze.

Just Food should be a model for all KS food banks, Good Work!

justfoodks 9 months ago

Naturephile:

To many of our clients, the thought of growing their own food is intimidating and daunting. We're not suggesting that it's easy to till a huge plot of land and keep it up, but to have a pallet garden or a few plants to have fresh produce may perhaps be easier than they would think. We aren't encouraging people to start huge, but small, and then working from there.

We are not using any chemicals on our garden...it is all natural and organic. I think the article mentioned rainbarrels that we are using to water our garden (we are in need of them being filled up again!).

I'd encourage you to come and see. I know we'd love to show you around.

Sincerely, Jeremy

Carol Bowen 9 months ago

Maybe Just Food should ask K-State county extension for help.

Naturephile 9 months ago

I encourage Just Food's enthusiasm and drive in starting a vegetable garden but to say....... "We also want to show clients that gardening is easy to do.".....shows that Jeremy Farmer does not have experience, or at least is not realistic, when it comes to growing produce.

Gardening has many benefits, it can be very enjoyable and extremely rewarding and it is certainly a way to very economically improve ones diet, but easy it is NOT. The biggest reason why people start and then quickly give up on growing their own produce is because it takes a concerted effort of energy and time to ensure a successful garden.

I also applaud Just Food's drive to be "green" in their endeavor with the green house. I hope this focus on being environmentally friendly is being extended in their effort to grow food. Unfortunately, no mention in the article on how ecologically friendly in regards to chemical inputs into the garden was mentioned in the story.

StanHernly 9 months ago

Start experimenting with hoop houses and low tunnels before deciding a greenhouse is needed.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.