Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: Rule of law

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 8 months, 4 weeks ago

An executive order is a specific power of the president and the executive branch as provided by the US Constitution in Article II, Section 1.

Some famous examples of the past include President Eisenhower’s order to enforce the desegregation of schools.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-an-executive-order.htm

fmrl 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I agree, no executive orders. Where in the Constitution is that authorized. Also, no more signing statements where Presidents state the reason they will not enforce a law.

Steven Gaudreau 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I assume this is in relation to the Zimmerman trial so i will post this: I'm wondering why so few news outlets are reporting that George Zimmerman and a friend stopped at an accident where a car rolled two days ago. Zimmerman and his friend freed the trapped family of four from the wreckage. No word on the color of the trapped family but it would be hard to know when approaching a rolled vehicle what color the people are you are about to risk your life to save (car fire, other vehicles crashing at the scene, etc.). Usually a person who behaved this way would be a hero. This is not the behavior of an evil person.

mom_of_three 8 months, 4 weeks ago

And we are allowed to express our displeasure if we believe justice has not been done, whether just a common citizen or not.
the justice system has always played a role in race relations, from the supreme court on down, and luckily, people didn't always take what the courts had to say and just stop what they were doing.

irtnog2001 8 months, 4 weeks ago

We are also supposed to be a nation governed by the rule of law and not men. No more executive orders!

jhawkinsf 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I've heard that expression before, that it's better that ten guilty go free than one innocent person be convicted. Yet it seems to me, that in reality, that number ten has grown. Maybe it's now twenty, or fifty. With plea bargains, maybe it's a hundred or a thousand. Couldn't it be true that at a ratio of 10/1, the expression espouses wisdom, but at a much, much higher ratio, it's foolhardy? Or even dangerous to the safety and survival of a particular society?

Don Brennaman 8 months, 4 weeks ago

think snowden is gonna hope this guy is on his jury?

kansas45 8 months, 4 weeks ago

The sad part is that few, any more, understand how any part of our government, including the judicial system, is supposed to function. They don't care as long as they get what they want. Sadder when you try to discuss this with them and they look at you with that deer in the headlight stare, mouth open, and say "What?"

Commenting has been disabled for this item.