Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Kansas Supreme Court rules that gun dealers must use highest degree of care in preventing sales to felons

Comments

bobberboy 9 months ago

I other words the fox is allowed in the hen house !

Currahee 9 months ago

This highlights the very problem with straw purchases, or guns. You can't stop this issue- it's not like the store could have stopped the sale of a gun to an elder person. But I see it in this way- if you had a car would you lend it to a relative who has a permanently suspended license for DUI?

I think firearms are great, but I think they should be treated like cars. Require people to get permits to buy guns and register the guns at a county level. If they sell it to someone else, transfer a license from the owner to the other owner. If they claim to "lose" too many guns you know something will be up. If serial numbers are found for numerous crimes originating from a straw purchaser you will know something is up.

I think if we did it this way, people still can enjoy firearms responsibly. It won't erase the problem completely but maybe it may mitigate it.

50YearResident 9 months ago

Granny won't be buying any more guns now because she is a felon too. Maybe the public needs to be educated on the consequences of making a gun straw purchase. The J/W can do a short article about straw purchases and what they are and how they work.

danmoore 9 months ago

Sounds like gun control to me. Can't have that. No no, that would be a bad thing.

Brock Masters 9 months ago

I read that his grandmother was with him when he tried to buy it and was denied. The grandmother then came back and bought it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it was a strawman purchase.

Granny needs to spend time in jail too.

somebodynew 9 months ago

elliottaw - from this article I would agree with you, however if you read a different article in a different local paper it gave more details. Including some statements made in depositions that made it sound like the gun shop owners knew the situation and still went ahead with the sale.

I do also think grandma should be up on charges, except she claims she did not read the forms and just signed them. Even so, she had to know his history and he even told her the gun would be stored at her house so it wouldn't be in his possession.

ksjayhawk74 9 months ago

Well unless the gun shop owners were total idiots, they should have recognized that the old lady probably wasn't buying a shotgun for herself while the guy was standing right next to her the whole time and telling her which gun to buy.

elliottaw 9 months ago

I am all for gun control and people's feet being held to the fire for guns falling into the wrong hands. However from the details provided I don't see how the sellers could have know what was actually going on here, this is too much like a witch hunt. The Grandmother however should have a large set of charges brought against her.

optimist 9 months ago

Never mind that the grandmother committed a felony by making the purchase. She duped the gun shop and they are liable for her fraud? She had more knowledge about his felony conviction and the protection order against him than anyone. The grandmother holds far more responsibility here than the gun shop. If the gun shop is to be held to account at all I certainly hope the grandmother will be held to account for her crime. If not then we aren't serious about preventing gun crime but rather taking money from the deepest pockets possible. Lets not forget first that Russell is responsible for the crime first and foremost.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.