Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On Kansas Supreme Court rules that gun dealers must use highest degree of care in preventing sales to felons

Comments

optimist 1 year, 1 month ago

Never mind that the grandmother committed a felony by making the purchase. She duped the gun shop and they are liable for her fraud? She had more knowledge about his felony conviction and the protection order against him than anyone. The grandmother holds far more responsibility here than the gun shop. If the gun shop is to be held to account at all I certainly hope the grandmother will be held to account for her crime. If not then we aren't serious about preventing gun crime but rather taking money from the deepest pockets possible. Lets not forget first that Russell is responsible for the crime first and foremost.

elliottaw 1 year, 1 month ago

I am all for gun control and people's feet being held to the fire for guns falling into the wrong hands. However from the details provided I don't see how the sellers could have know what was actually going on here, this is too much like a witch hunt. The Grandmother however should have a large set of charges brought against her.

ebyrdstarr 1 year, 1 month ago

The opinion includes more facts which make it pretty clear that the sellers should have known what was going on. Russell had called in advance about the particular gun he wanted to have it held. He was the one who inspected it. He was the one who handed over the cash to pay for it. He was the one who left the store with it.

JayhawkFan1985 1 year, 1 month ago

Opinions are like belly buttons...everyone has one. Your opinion is just plain wrong though. They didn't follow the law when they sold the gun and are now shocked they are held accountable.

I am going strictly from the facts of this article.

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 1 month ago

Well unless the gun shop owners were total idiots, they should have recognized that the old lady probably wasn't buying a shotgun for herself while the guy was standing right next to her the whole time and telling her which gun to buy.

kochmoney 1 year, 1 month ago

Paying for it, too. I don't know the specifics of the case, but it sounds like the equivalent of a minor walking around with an older friend at the liquor store and putting the beer and cash on the counter, only to have that friend flash their ID to complete the purchase. It doesn't fly in a liquor store, so why should gun shops be so lax about straw purchases?

Liberty275 1 year, 1 month ago

Sure. But under a different scenario, the kid was helping his grandma choose a gun for Ol Grandad's 70th birthday... Would you send her to Cabelas with the instructions "get grandaddy a shotgun" or would you go with her to help her get the right one?

It can go either way. It can be perfectly innocent or it could be you and Maaaama are going to rob a bank. Remaining is the question of how far do we invade the lives of the innocent to stop criminals.

The democrats have and would again err on the side of reduced freedom for increased security. That's a defining trait for a democrat.

I think with enough pressure from the right to guide them, the republicans will pass the saner parts of what the left wants then everyone will be a little more happy.

somebodynew 1 year, 1 month ago

elliottaw - from this article I would agree with you, however if you read a different article in a different local paper it gave more details. Including some statements made in depositions that made it sound like the gun shop owners knew the situation and still went ahead with the sale.

I do also think grandma should be up on charges, except she claims she did not read the forms and just signed them. Even so, she had to know his history and he even told her the gun would be stored at her house so it wouldn't be in his possession.

1 year, 1 month ago

I read that his grandmother was with him when he tried to buy it and was denied. The grandmother then came back and bought it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it was a strawman purchase.

Granny needs to spend time in jail too.

danmoore 1 year, 1 month ago

Sounds like gun control to me. Can't have that. No no, that would be a bad thing.

Laws were broken during the sale and the criminals still bought a gun and one of them later killed someone.

Criminals don't care about law. They do what they are going to do. How many more laws do law-abiding citizens have to follow so criminals can ignore them?

Democrats jumped the shark on gun control law with the dumb assault weapons ban. The next republican government will pass the sensible parts of what the democrats want.

Democrats are never to be trusted with gun control for the same reason you don't trust republicans with abortion control.

Lol please do a little research then make an informed decision, the amount of acts your missing is mind boggling.

What boggles your mind is not my concern. Inform yourself of that.

1 year, 1 month ago

Liberty I am as pro gun as they come but this is a case if as described in the news articles I read shouldn't have happened.

Yes, the laws were in place to prevent this, but like any laws it relies on the parties involved following the law.

What makes this different is that the gun dealer, who should be following the law, was complicit in allowing a strong man purchase to take place.

My idea of gun control is reasonable laws and throwing the book at people when they break them.

If the gun shop owner can be shown to have known it was a straw purchase, he should go to prison. We have similar ideas concerning gun control.

I'm for tightening gun sale laws, to make such hanky panky illegal if it is not already, as long as democrats aren't writing the law. The last time they did, they made weapons illegal because they had pistol grips and flash suppressors (dumb law). That's why they lost the debate so badly after the Sandy Hook tragedy.

Armored_One 1 year, 1 month ago

You do realize that no one had to surrender a single round of ammunition or hand over a single gun, right? The ban was on making NEW ones. No government task force was going to just dash all over the place collecting them. Did you read the ENTIRE thing, as it was proposed, which was also posted in multiple places on the Internet? I am distinctly getting the impression you didn't. That is a bunch of nonsense the NRA whipped up to turn public opinion against the rest of it, which might have inconvenienced a couple of the higher ranking members once in a while. "the government is going to take your weapons" lie was proven to be exactly that, but it is STILL being spouted as if it written on a wall by a flaming hand.

skull 1 year, 1 month ago

"The next republican government will pass the sensible parts of what the democrats want." Republicans passing something sensible?...hilarious.

50YearResident 1 year, 1 month ago

Granny won't be buying any more guns now because she is a felon too. Maybe the public needs to be educated on the consequences of making a gun straw purchase. The J/W can do a short article about straw purchases and what they are and how they work.

1 year, 1 month ago

It is pretty simple and one of the questions you have to answer - are you purchasing this gun for yourself?

What laws are gun manufacturers breaking?

Armored_One 1 year, 1 month ago

Gun manufacturers are no more to blame for shooting deaths than big tobacco is for cancer deaths. No one from the gun people forced anyone to shoot anyone and no on at big tobacco forced anyone the light a cigarette or chew, pure and simple.

Currahee 1 year, 1 month ago

This highlights the very problem with straw purchases, or guns. You can't stop this issue- it's not like the store could have stopped the sale of a gun to an elder person. But I see it in this way- if you had a car would you lend it to a relative who has a permanently suspended license for DUI?

I think firearms are great, but I think they should be treated like cars. Require people to get permits to buy guns and register the guns at a county level. If they sell it to someone else, transfer a license from the owner to the other owner. If they claim to "lose" too many guns you know something will be up. If serial numbers are found for numerous crimes originating from a straw purchaser you will know something is up.

I think if we did it this way, people still can enjoy firearms responsibly. It won't erase the problem completely but maybe it may mitigate it.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.