Discussions

Reader comments

On Lakers give Josh Selby a shot

Comments

onewillow 1 year, 9 months ago

Perhaps at some point our young underclassman will figure out because they were marginally good in college it would translate into NBA riches. Xavier Henry was a mediocre player in college and now he is unemployed. Yes, he will get picked up, but i wager in 2 years he will be in Europe. Josh Selby, marginal player, goes pro and now is living in the developmental league. Wow, how'd that work out for you Josh?

Jerry Collins 1 year, 9 months ago

Josh Selby wants to 'showcase his talents'. At the NBA level he has none and has no chance to make the Laker team. He has been overrated since he came out of high school. He, Xavier and Ben Mac have great athletic ability. It hasn't translated into NBA skills for the first two. . With the game on the line great players take over the game. Never once did Ben do that in a critical situation last year. Maybe that will change in the Pro's but I doubt it. Ben is a great kid and I hope I'm wrong.

onewillow 1 year, 9 months ago

Couldnt agree more. Julian Wright is another example of a young player who left early and now is out of the game. Granted, he made a bunch of money but I sense if he had waited another year he would have had two things; a national championship ring and a game that was one year better developed.

cabmando 1 year, 9 months ago

Stop blaming the players they only do what system in place by the owners allows. Sign huge contracts on potential alone. We all know potential does not always equal success. If they go to college make the players stay for a minimum of 2 to 3 years like all other professions leagues do. Better for the players and fans alike.

rtwngr 1 year, 9 months ago

Selby and Henry spent too much time reading their own press. They both could have benefited from staying in school. Selby could have been real special as a point guard in college. He always looked lazy and seemed to have the attitude that he was only marking time so he could qualify for the NBA. Too bad. Then, I could be wrong.

Richard Njoroge 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with cabmando one hundrend percent

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 9 months ago

Ah, yes, another" flash it the pan " college freshman super star enters the real world

I absolutely cannot condone this odious business of letting allegedly talented high school players come to KU for a season and then jumping to the NBA. These kids lack judgement, experience, and reality, and this is what you get.

You listenin, Rock Chalk fans??????

Robert Rauktis 1 year, 9 months ago

"flash it the pan"? I think it's flash in the pan, from false gold flakes. or a false musket fire.

Robert Rauktis 1 year, 9 months ago

"Former Kansas University basketball combo guard Josh Selby will play for the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2013 Las Vegas Summer League, Friday through July 22."

Too bad you can't insert a period after "Lakers".

Commenting has been disabled for this item.