Discussions

Reader comments

On Letter: Law needed

Comments

friendlyjhawk 2 years ago

What is wrong here? Not calling 911 yourself is what is wrong. You want to point fingers but you didn't take direct action. A letter to LJW doesn't help the police or the unfortunate situation the child and the dog were in.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

I'll bet the mother left the car running to keep the air conditioning on for the child and the dog. We don't know what was going on, it could very well be a perfectly innocent situation.

Also, people please phone the police when you see something that you believe merits their attention. Or maybe the police should start reading letters to the editor in which case the letter is going to have to have a lot more information.

Lauren Reinhold 2 years ago

I agree phoning the police is good, but Judith was trying to help.

Judith, I agree! Can you go to the city commission about this?

Yes, maybe the AC was on and heat was not a danger, but what about someone getting into that unlocked car and driving off with the child? A horrible thing happened in Independence in this scenario about 12 years ago and since then, I have my keys in my hand at all times, even in my driveway. Speaking of driveways, neighbors, please lock your unattended cars in this heat. Children can climb in to play and be unable to get out. Read kidsandcars.org for more safety tips.

Bravo to you Judith for speaking up. A lazy parent like that is probably negligent in other respects.

Richard Heckler 2 years ago

A 911 call could have resolved this issue. The parent would likely have received a summons then likely never do it again. What is the ordinance regarding this issue?

The AC likely was on. The only danger might be the car engine becoming over heated..... then what.

Maybe the car was locked so a stranger getting in would not be easy ...... maybe the dog would have chewed a strangers arm or hand off.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

Judith! what god is a letter to the editor?

as Did-I-Say-That noted above, child endangerment is already illegal in Kansas. it is also illegal to leave a dog in such a vehicle on a hot day.

why didn't you dial 9-1-1? turn in the license of the car, you obviously had oodles of time to note the tag, and get description of the driver.

"there oughta be a law" doesn't make sense all the time.

kernal 2 years ago

As for the personnel in the stores, you could have called 911 if the writer of this letter didn't have a cell phone with her.

Bob Forer 2 years ago

We already have a law against what the writer described. Its called Endangerment of a Child.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.